The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hi Chris -

As a former stress engineer in aerospace, I can assure you that's not an issue. The load that Shinoo put on the windshield in pulling/pushing is probably substantially more than just about any wind load (at least, in the direction he was applying that load), because the windshield is "raked" and not flat to the wind. Also, a little flex is not a big deal in terms of strength. Think about a large aircraft wings during an abrubt maneuver or turbulence. They're absolutely designed to flex, but that doesn't mean they're any where near a failure mode. So, no worries there !

Cheers, Mike G.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Indeed. I'm going to be so incredibly paranoid with this car, it'll be pathetic ! :huh:

I'll be pestering everyone - don't slam the door! Don't scuff the sills ! Careful how you get in and out ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ex-M3 said:
IIRC the 777 wing was flexed over 20 ft until failure. I've seen the video and when it fails it sounds like a big freakin' gun going off.
Yeah I think you're right. Similar for the DC-10, and probably the other jumbo jets etc. Those test videos are pretty impressive ! It takes a tremendous amount of load to make an airliner's wing fail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.