The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I was wondering about the windshield. If it is damaged how hard to obtain.
Im sure very hard to obtain.
On the Thread by Docl. Someone mentions that to produce another windshield took 3 months of search!!
Is there any legal outside protection for these wind screens?

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and Thanks for responding.
Questions.
How much?
What is it made of?
How thick?
Any UV protection?
Mike E.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It appears you are in Canada and I don't know what the rules are there. In New Jersey USA you are not allowed to do ANYTHING to the front windscreen, no tint, nothing. Very strict. On the rear side windows you can add tint but not a lot and sometimes they actually measure it! In many cases if you get a chip, crack, or scratch it can be repaired. Even there, there are areas of the windscreen that are not supposed to be fixed. It can distort the view through the glass.
David Teitelbaum

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Hi.
Someone mentions that to produce another windshield took 3 months of search!!
That is because he did not know where to look right away. It always takes longer and in many cases more expensive to get an item when you wait to find a source when the need is great. During a wrenching session I have seen a couple of DIY windscreen replacement. Local club members apparently have a source and they seem unconcerned about availability

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,104 Posts
In New Jersey USA you are not allowed to do ANYTHING to the front windscreen, no tint, nothing.
UNLESS it is the state-mandated Inspection Sticker. :D:D

As Cal said, the windshields are available. The Usual Lotus Parts Suspects sell them, if your glass shop cannot find them. Occasionally, we have to wait for a new batch to be manufactured, but the glass companies always come through.

So I say, don't worry about it. Cross that bridge when the time comes. And don't follow too close to the vehicle ahead. (Unless you are overtaking to pass, of course...) rotfl

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
UNLESS it is the state-mandated Inspection Sticker. :D:D

Funny story about that since you mentioned it. Since DMV makes the rules they allow themselves the ability to put the sticker on the windscreen. They used to put it on the passenger side but they moved it to the driver's side to make it easier for law enforcement to see if it is up to date when they approach the driver. When E Z Pass came out you were told to stick it to the windscreen. In the beginning some overenthusiastic police were giving out tickets for obstructing the windscreen and getting away with it because the geniuses at E Z Pass (in New Jersey) forgot to get a waiver to allow you to put it on the windscreen! Then there was the debacle of E Z Pass giving out speeding tickets going through the tolls. Turns out they were measuring you 50 feet BEFORE the tolls and they never had the authority to issue speeding tickets in the first place! It's always about the money.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts