The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone else has diagnosed this. It is a very high-pitched squeaky rattle that I thought was coming from the driver's side vent/speaker/grill/dash assembly. I was pushing everything that I could to get it to stop and it finally did...when I pushed on the base of the windshield. I wedged a cloth between the dash and windishield (just behind the VIN plate) and the rattle has stopped.

It only does this when driving so it is difficult to diagnose. I am now trying to figure out if it is actually the seal around the windshield that is causing the rattle or if it is the VIN plate actually scraping against the windshield? The aluminum plate scraping against the glass could be causing this sound as well.

Any thoughts?

jjb

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well I cut a section out of a black plastic trash bag the size of the VIN label and fit it between the labal and the glass to prevent the VIN being so obvious. Maybe the same will stop your squeak.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
jjb said:
Hopefully someone else has diagnosed this. It is a very high-pitched squeaky rattle that I thought was coming from the driver's side vent/speaker/grill/dash assembly. I was pushing everything that I could to get it to stop and it finally did...when I pushed on the base of the windshield. I wedged a cloth between the dash and windishield (just behind the VIN plate) and the rattle has stopped.

It only does this when driving so it is difficult to diagnose. I am now trying to figure out if it is actually the seal around the windshield that is causing the rattle or if it is the VIN plate actually scraping against the windshield? The aluminum plate scraping against the glass could be causing this sound as well.

Any thoughts?

jjb
I have the exact same rattle in the same location. I haven't figured out what it is yet either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: Re: Windshield rattle

TTP said:
I have the exact same rattle in the same location. I haven't figured out what it is yet either.
I also have exactly the same noise.

I went for a drive today and it was gone.

Vince

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
adamant said:
Well I cut a section out of a black plastic trash bag the size of the VIN label and fit it between the labal and the glass to prevent the VIN being so obvious. Maybe the same will stop your squeak.
Hey thanks! It IS the VIN plate. I think there are rivets there or it was the plate itself. I pressed on the plate and now it's gone. :clap:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got it too! I hope someone comes up with a cure other than using a rag:confused:

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
LOL! Reading all these small ticky-tack problems is funny. At least I'll know what to expect and how to fix them when I finally get my car.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Has anyone found a definitive approach to this one? I have it pretty bad on mine.

--Josh

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It is the instrument binnacle. Grab the instrument cluster and wiggle it, if it makes the same noise... :tadts:

Your dealer should be able to fix it.

BTW mine does not do it any longer :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine was the VIN plate after all

I just got a small screw driver and bent it back away from the windshield (warning: do not pry the screw driver against the glass or you will break it). I have not heard the noise since.

I do have a rattle/squeek that will also occur when my driver's side visor is fully retracted and resting against the windshield. I just pull it down a bit but I should probably just remove them like several others have done.

jjb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts