The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My painter decided to remove the windshield from my Esprit as part of his repainting effort after deciding that he could not do a high quality job with the windshield in place. Well, to be accurate he paid a glass guy to come and remove both the windshield and the large glass on the rear hatch since he could not repaint the black section under the hatch glass on the rear hatch above the engine cover, nor could he do a proper job on the pillars and front edge of the roof with the glass in place. I admire his standards. However, I now must plan on getting the windshield back in the car (it came out without any damage). I have ordered both the trim and carrier moldings from JAE to replace the existing moldings which were "sacrificed" when the windshield was removed. The back lite on the hatch is simple - it's a straightforward glue bond. The windshield is a little more complex because it involves the moldings and also has a more critical role than the rear hatch glass.

I have searched old threads on this topic of windshield glazing on LotusTalk, on The Lotus Forum UK, on Pistonheads, etc. There is not a lot of discussion on this but what discussion there is ranges extremely. I have read statements that claim reinstalling the windshield requires a "special jig" to stabilize the entire car body, for example. And other posts which say the replacement is a "piece of cake". In other words, like most Lotus topics several different points of view.

Having been raised in a glass shop (my dad was in the auto glass business almost all his life) many of the ideas seem rather "fanciful" as the British might say - especially the notion that the car must be stabilized in a special jig to set the windshield. This idea did not seem to impress most participants in the discussion. The general opinion was the car needs to be on level ground in a stable configuration as you would expect its normal stance. Several reported local auto shop glazers did the job as any other and the results came out fine. While hypothetical disasters were sometimes suggested (windshield flying off the Esprit spontaneously, cracking spontaneously and crushing the driver (this only under "great speed" of course) not a single person claimed any of this had actually happened to them nor did they know directly someone this had happened to.

The most frequent and serious issue discussed about windshields seems to be (a) locating one, and (b) paying for one if you happen to find one. Well, I do have a good windshield in hand, and the necessary parts coming from JAE, and 3M urethane is easily obtained. The glass guy who removed the windshield did it without damage and has done a substantial number of exotic cars. And the painter is also experience with exotics - he has a very expensive Ferrari and an expensive Porsche there in the shop now so he is accustomed to the "weltanschung" as the Germans like to say of high end cars.... Sp I'm thinking a good glass installer with the proper molding can do this and I would be present to watch him do it in case I thought something nutty was going on. The owner of th shop is a friend and would also I believe welcome my presence - especially because I will be there to pay the glass guy.

OK - one final thought. I have heard there are vinyl tint films which can be added to the windshield which have very good heat suppression characteristics, but are virtually clear or so slightly tinted that they are not considered tinted as that would be used in modern parlance. I am thinking this is some kind of relatively clear UvA or UvB blocker which would do an Esprit in Florida world of good. The time to have this applied to the window most readily is when it is out of the car. Has anybody used a windshield tint or screen product like this to try and reduce heat coming through the windshield? If so what is it called?

Any of you out there who have been through a windshield installation or re installation of your existing glass after a respray? Any advice, thoughts, war stories, etc. on the experience that I ought to hear about before I place my car and windshield in the hands of a local glass shop to be reinstalled? As always, any advice greatly appreciated.....

Thanks for your patience in listening to this rather rambling narrative and any helpful commentary is appreciated.

:sad:

·
Wingless Wonder
5,397 Posts
Tom,

I'm sure you have reviewed the windscreen replacement procedure in Section BG, pp 1 - 6 of the Service Notes?

Seems to me that if the proper spacer blocks are used, the glass would not provide any body rigidity (as it does in many modern metal automobiles). Looks as if proper glass priming is key.

I'm definitely NOT an expert, tho' I have broken some panes of glass on my daily drivers. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
Tom,

I'm sure you have reviewed the windscreen replacement procedure in Section BG, pp 1 - 6 of the Service Notes?
I skimmed the 87 version of the Service Notes and the windshield install seems fairly 'normal' to me. The trim part may be unique. It did seem to recommend specific adhesives, but no mention of a jig or anything exotic to install.

Disclaimer: Never had it done yet, but can definitely see it in my future.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for the comments - I did review the procedure and I have ordered all the necessary moldings and spacers. I think that 3M window urethane is probably a suitable substitute for betaseal. I did use betaseal when I did my quarter windows a couple of years ago and I have also used 3M to repair a broken side window on an S4 and they seem about the same to me. I am going to print out the procedure from the service notes and make sure that the installer has it in hand when the windshield goes back in.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Atwell,
Just for anecdotal input here, when I had my windscreen removed and reinstalled to paint about 5 years ago(not my recent respray) I noticed a substantial reduction in the squeaking and creaking coming from the corners of the header rail and sunroof. Now, perhaps the windscreen had previously been installed improperly, but I certainly noticed a fair improvement in the cabin rigidity, not sure about the overall body rigidity. That came with the divorce! Lol!

·
Wingless Wonder
5,397 Posts
Atwell,
I certainly noticed a fair improvement in the cabin rigidity, not sure about the overall body rigidity. That came with the divorce! Lol!
Art, LOL... rotfl

I'm sure that any bondage would provide some rigidity, my point was it's not a design necessity.

Whoops, I meant to say,... never mind, sorry to have highjacked the topic.. .... Oh skip it. :no:

:panic:

:D

·
Registered
671 Posts
I knew what you were getting at, I was simply offering a slightly different perspective. My case, as I am sure, was unique, but always worth consideration, especially if the windscreen leaks at the edges as bad as mine did...... back to the topic at hand!
Artie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts