The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a small crack in my windshield repaired today.
The repair was done by a mobile unit & i had to go back into my office while the work was completed.

On my drive home, i noticed that the ventilation fans would not come on and the A/C button was inoperative. On another forum (that i'm not registered on) found a similar problem: a loose connector, adequate freon, good fuses at 14 & 19. While i have not investigated these things yet, i wonder if the repair somehow dislodged the same connector. Alternatively the original poster mentioned that the dealer thought that a controller mounted under the top of the dash was the cause for his fans not coming on.

My windshield repair fellow did place a mirror on the dash but i didn't notice any undue pressure being applied. Perhaps my controller was damaged by the repair? (a wild shot, i know)

Anyone care to speculate before i begin to trouble-shoot?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Coincidence, I think not. Just kidding. No way. No how just unlucky timing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coincidence, I think not. Just kidding. No way. No how just unlucky timing.
Well, the problem seems to have "cured" itself.

I checked fuses 14 & 19 - they were fine, i just re-seated them firmly. Then i pressed down on the top of the dashboard in several spots; approximating where the repair guy might have pressed.

I restarted the car (its late evening now), and the ventilation fans came on and the A/C button engaged !

I forgot to mention that the temps were around mid-90 degrees F today when i started the car at 6:30pm. The car was partially shaded. I know this shouldn't matter, but could there be a temp-sensitive contact somewhere?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Reminds me of a good story. I was working for an A/C firm in Philly and the Dryers are usually next to the heaters, so we lay a cloth over the dryer and put our tools on it when installing new systems. Some guy said we broke his dryer and wanted a new one before he paid. Well, my boss knew this guy was just shaking him down so he thought he'd just fix the old one. So we take it apart, all the wires were fried and the thing was totally rusted out, probably hadn't worked in months maybe years. The guy stood his ground (held back a $2,500 check) my boss just turned it into his insurance.

Another time I repaired a unit on the outside of the house, and never went down stairs. The next day they call as the unit stopped working. I go back and it was a problem in the heater totally unrelated. Luckily the guy was an electrician, I explained to him that the power supply was in the A/C outside and if I shorted it out it would just blowout the transformer there. He totally agreed and paid for the second repair. Normally if that happens (two unrelated problems on one system, days or weeks apart) there's no explaining it and you just fix the second one for free. I learned to tell people that any units over 10 years old I said expect something else to happen.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Check the connector that attaches to the fan module which is sitting on the passenger side front wheel well liner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the connector that attaches to the fan module which is sitting on the passenger side front wheel well liner.
Ok, but my 2005 Elise is 3-days old so i'm still unfamiliar with how the parts are all
attached. Do i remove the wheel well liner itself or can i access it thru
the top where the fuse box is?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Ok, but my 2005 Elise is 3-days old so i'm still unfamiliar with how the parts are all
attached. Do i remove the wheel well liner itself or can i access it thru
the top where the fuse box is?

It is kinda in between. If you take the liner off to get at it, you will end up disconnecting the module. There is not much of a positive latch, or at least there was not on mine. It is pretty easy to miss it also when putting things back together.

You can see a bit of it through the access panel area if I recall correctly. And you can feel around with your hand. You may need to take off the front wheel. There is a connector hanging there and it should be connected.

When it is not, the fans are not right and the cooling fan up front at the radiator will not come on above temps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is kinda in between. If you take the liner off to get at it, you will end up disconnecting the module. There is not much of a positive latch, or at least there was not on mine. It is pretty easy to miss it also when putting things back together.

You can see a bit of it through the access panel area if I recall correctly. And you can feel around with your hand. You may need to take off the front wheel. There is a connector hanging there and it should be connected.

When it is not, the fans are not right and the cooling fan up front at the radiator will not come on above temps.
Thanks! i'll go in from the top with the wheel off then.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Thanks! i'll go in from the top with the wheel off then.

Working from memory....but I did this a lot of times, you can also pull away the wheel well liner away from the chassis with the wheel off and see the connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts