The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 2005 Elise from a fellow forum member. I am looking into getting the windows tinted to reduce some of the solar heat in the cab. After going to a couple of local shops that I was not particularly comfortable taking my vehicle to, I found a shop that has done a number of exotic vehicles and has a good track record.

After speaking with them they suggested not tinting the windshield, which is where the majority of the heat is coming from. They basically told me that the tint would not take to the windshield well since it is more curved, that it would need to be replaced within a year or so and that it would cause more fog/steam to develop, basically that it was a bad idea overall.

I am only looking for a very light tint on the side windows, and very very light on the windshield, just anything to reduce the solar heat. I am aware of the crystalline 3M material but no one in the area carries this.

So have any of you guys had any troubles with windshield tinting? Tints coming off after a while? Also how much does a tint using 3M crystalline cost if I were to find a place? All of the tinting places claimed that it is very expensive.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had Pinnacle Air 80 applied to my Elise's windshield about a month ago. The installation went well and I haven't experienced any peeling - can't really talk about long-term. It cost ~$150 to have it put on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had mine tinted 80% and have had zero issues at all. Really helps w/ the heat!

·
Registered
402 Posts
the curvature and angle of the windscreen make the application of multi layer (3m crystalline) much more difficult. i guess it can be done, but typically not without seeing halos, especially at night.
sadly i forgot what i used on my windshield, but it was almost as good as the 3m stuff, but a single layer. i used 90% so i don't get hassled by the po-po.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I have 50% 3M Crystalline on my windshield for 6 years with no problems. Check out "improved AC" below in my signature.
Michael

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I have standard 3M 50% on my windshield. It's been maybe 4 years?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My car has a tinted windshield. I purchased it 9 months ago but it has been on for years and still looks perfect, no issues at all, though as many have said it is difficult to apply due to the shape. I would take it to someone who has more confidence in their abilities :)

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Mine has a 70% Panaflex line from flexfilmplus.com on the windshield. It provides a ton of heat rejection and just a hint of light/glare reduction. I used to manage 3 shops that did window tint. It all comes down to the tinter and the tint.

A good ceramic tint installed by a professional that has done MANY types of cars is the key. The windshield will most likely have to be dry shrunk because of the amount of curve, but it depends on the tint.

Make sure that they use a plastic piece under their razor knife to not scratch the glass, even the best stainless steel blades can scratch glass when they cut the template.

I pulled my dash for my guy just to make life easier, but it's not required. And I took time to clean everything under the dash to cut down on dust.

As a final note, I've always had tinted vehicles, but the Exige with an angled windshield appears darker than vehicles with more upright windshields. (This is the only theory that I have come up with) This can lead to you overdriving the headlights very quickly. So 50% tint doesn't appear dark on a sample piece of glass or on your SUV but it seems really dark on the Elige windshield. It's more expensive to take the tint back off and change your mind to a different shade. Ask me how I know. Lol

PS. If you happen to be somewhere near SE Michigan I have a great referral for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts