The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in this group had the Esprit windshield tinted? I am thinking about having it done with a product called 3M crystalline 90%. What is the groups thinking on this? Thanks Dave

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I did on my S4 and prior car, 1989 Porsche 928 S4.

Here in Dallas it appreciably reduced interior temps in summer. Barely visible unless you really look for it. I never had anyone notice it unless I specifically pointed it out, damned near 100% optically clear.

Dont remember specifics but it blocked something like 70% of UV and IR

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had the windshield done for about 10 years now. It's starting to look dated so it's coming off. It's been ok with reducing heat in summer months but since it's so light I'm not sure it's makes a huge difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
50% still blocks most heat.
If it's 90% vlt, should be legal anywhere.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I got it too. It seems to block some heat, but there is just so much heat to be blocked down here! I still use my windshield heat shield also.

A/c catches up pretty quick even on a hot day.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
If you find a good place to do it in the south, please post it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I did on my S4 and prior car, 1989 Porsche 928 S4.

Here in Dallas it appreciably reduced interior temps in summer. Barely visible unless you really look for it. I never had anyone notice it unless I specifically pointed it out, damned near 100% optically clear.

Dont remember specifics but it blocked something like 70% of UV and IR

What shop DFW did the work?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Don't remember name right bit it is on 183, south side almost at Loop 12
They do car stereos too
CNt missit

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't remember name right bit it is on 183, south side almost at Loop 12
They do car stereos too
CNt missit
This look like the joint?
jrs.jpg

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Some States are very touchy about which windows and how much tinting. In New Jersey you CANNOT tint the windscreen or the driver's window. They also regulate how much tinting and sometimes they actually measure it. Other States are more lenient, especially as you head south and west. Before spending the money you should check the rules in your State.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Some States are very touchy about which windows and how much tinting. In New Jersey you CANNOT tint the windscreen or the driver's window. They also regulate how much tinting and sometimes they actually measure it. Other States are more lenient, especially as you head south and west. Before spending the money you should check the rules in your State.
David Teitelbaum
What I had done is NOT tinted whatsoever. It is optically clear and serves as a block for IR and UV rays (around 68% if memory serves).

Just FYI for those who thought what I suggested "tinted" it.

BTW.. if you have windshield stickers for registration, inspection or toll tag thingys, make sure they have cutouts for those..

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The 3M product appears clear, but it is not.
The lower tint seems acceptable to me though.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The 3M product appears clear, but it is not.
The lower tint seems acceptable to me though.
True BUT I can say that when I had done on my car and prior (1989 928 S4) unless I told someone it was on there and then they looked really hard nobody could tell it was there. 100% clear? No but damned close.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I have samples.
It is very hard to see in the lighter types.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts