The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone out there ever removed the external windshield trim on an Elise or Exige? Is this something that can be done at home? If so how?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I belive it comes preattached to the windshield as an assembly.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It comes as part of the windshield and is bonded with a very tenacious adhesive. It is also wrapped around the glass so the windshield needs to be removed first.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
confusion?

I am talking about removal of the external trim. Sorry, I was not specific

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am talking about removal of the external trim. Sorry, I was not specific
So am I. It is part of the windshield assembly and glued to the windscreen. It is slotted and the windshield fits into the slot and is glued. Cannot be removed without removing windshield unless you cut it off.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

So is there external trim when replacing the windscreen with the Lexan one from Sector? It does not appear to come with trim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats what I said! Hmmm, Nobody is listening to me. :(

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
So is there external trim when replacing the windscreen with the Lexan one from Sector? It does not appear to come with trim
Nope. You can try to shatter the glass and pick all the shards out of the adhesive, keep in mind though the the Sector one would need to be cut to fit the old trim.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
But it is funny...well it makes me laugh!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nope. You can try to shatter the glass and pick all the shards out of the adhesive, keep in mind though the the Sector one would need to be cut to fit the old trim.
Oh wow, thats a bummer. I got a huge rock chip following too close to a buddy in the twisties & was contemplating on this as a replacement but the install sounds rather involved.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do strongly recommend rolling it up tight and placing it in the bottom of a 1 gallon metal pale, and completely submerging in isopropyl alcohol for at least an hour.

Alcohol dissolves the adhesive.

Makes it go much much faster.

It still isn't worth it.

:wallbang:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Update.
The longer you soak the trim in alcohol the easier it is to remove the glass.
My trim has been weathered pretty badly so I'm not going to use it.
Beware that after soaking 3 to 4 hours, this may happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
The real fun is when you install the optic armor speed glass (formerly Percy's).

I think it is best to trim the windshield with about 1/8" tp 3/16" gap around the sides and top.

Here's what happened with mine, it heated up and expanded and popped loose in the lower middle area allowing A LOT of extremely hot air to blow right in our faces at normal highway speed.

So I decided to redo the whole thing.
The original window trim has stand offs all the way around that measured 5 mm thick.

I did not notice this the first time so I layed it in directly on top of the pinch well (well, weld, whatever its called who cares, you know what I mean).

I found some shims for installing flooring at home depot that are 2.5mm at one end and 5mm at the other and I cut little stand offs out of those.

At first I put them all around the pinch well and placed the windshield in and straightened it up.

I didn't like the way it looked especially in the top corners so I removed the stand offs all along both sides and that was an enormous improvement.
but then it didn't feel supported in the top and bottom centers.

I made some 2.5mm extenstions from the shims that I mentioned earlier.
I super glued the 2.5 pieces to the 5 mm stand offs in the top and bottom centers. Super Glue... that's how I glued all the stand offs to the pinch well.

I put the stand off nearest to the edge of the glass at the bottom (5) and furthest inboard for those on the top (3).

I used 3m windoweld to install the windshield and I used a companion 3m product that comes in tiny little bottle for $21 which is a primer.
I applied the primer to both the pinch well and the glass, then allowed it to fully cure.

When installing with the stand offs in place you will need to apply a really big bead in the centers top and bottom to make up the gap, while on the edges reduce the bead size so it doesn't squish all over your a pillars or even cover the vin sticker.

If it does cover your vin sticker, do not panic.
next time you remove the windshield (C'mon, theres always a next time)

You will pull the sticker off the metal tab and VOID will be shown across the vin number.

Just get a razor blade and hold the sticker upside down on a place mat and aggressively scratch the silvery VOID letters off, then clean with alcohol and reglue it to the metal tab before re sealing your windshield in.

I think that covers everything

·
Registered
339 Posts
In regards to the legality and lethality of the plexiglass because they wont be able to break it to extract you through the windshield i have a few thoughts.

First, if they extract me through the windshield I will be dead.
Do you really think you are going to be taken through the windshield hole in one piece?

Sit there in the drivers seat and think about it...
That **** aint gonna happen.

Second, if there was any consideration to break the windshield for the purpose of extracting the driver or passenger then the car is either upright or on its side.

CUT THE FREAKING ROOF OFF

Third if you hit a deer at 70mph with a safety glass you're done bud.
I hit a deer at 35-40mph and I had tiny slivers of glass everywhere, eyelids, neck, hair, ears, my arms were completely covered and bleeding from 1000 tiny cuts. The deer was about 9 inches from my face when it came inside to see me.

With the plexi glass, that will not happen again.

So do what you want, but I feel a lot safer knowing that a sledge hammer won't make it through.

As much crap as I see laying in the highways from 2x4's, ladders, pipes, I have a little additional peace of mind that it will have a lot harder time coming in to kill me since I used a more durable material as a windscreen.

Good Luck Friends.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts