The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Elise. The washer fluid reservoir is full but the nozzle is not sending out any water on the windshield. I do hear the noise of the pump. This failed recently, it was working fine and reduced output very quickly.

Any suggestions on how to debug?

I did bleed my brakes recently, I hope I did not damage anything when pulling the front cover.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
washer

:crazyeyes

Try checking the little screen in the washer tank. It tends to clog with some kind of slime. Real easy to check. Disconnect the electrical wires to the pump and gently lift up the tank. Remove the pump from the tank, it just pushes in, and there is the screen.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Yep do as lotus72Eur says. You could also add a step once you clean the reservoir which is fill it up with clean water unhook the hose at the T fitting in the front and run the washer motor to clean out the line.

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggestion was spot on. Thanks a lot.

Took me about 5 minutes to do. I can't believe how much black-colored gunk was in the water tank. Not sure how that got in there. Washed tank and filter and it is all good now.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I had the same issue. I think that fluid has been in there since the car was built. That black sludge must have been brought over from the UK. The point of clog was that black rubber grommet / filter thing between the tank and the pump. I had to pull out most of the sludge with a big spoon then suck out the remaining fluid with a shopvac.

I had a hard time disconnecting the electrical connector from the pump. Eventually I got it apart but realized I didn't even need to disconnect anything. The pump is attached to the tank with just friction. oh well... I cleaned the crap out of the interior of the tank with a scrub brush and bleach. it should not come back again.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
just checking back in, i didn't have to take anything apart, i took a wooden toothpick and poked the two sprayer holes and its working now.

odd because on inspection before i poked, nothing looked clogged.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My sprayer has been spraying weird. Instead of a fan it is a stream. Anyone clear it up by cleaning it or would I need a new nozzle?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Once again lotustalk saves the day. Had a similar issue where my windshield sprayer was just drizzling out. But I heard the pump whirring so that part seemed fine. Turned out that the tank was all full of gunk and the little screen thing was filled with sludge. Cleaned it up and working great now.

Note: I also used a small needle to ensure the nozzles were free (not clogged) and just an FYI for folks in the future but the inner tiny part of the nozzle swivels. As a result, the aim of the sprayers was all off so I had to go back and adjust with the needle until they were aimed properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts