The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving my 2005 Lotus Elise tonight in the rain and suddenly my windshield wipers stopped working...
I shut the car off and checked my fuses, the 15amp fuse under the passenger side dash was blown so I drove to a nearby auto store and bought a 5 pack of replacements.
After installing a new fuse I tried my windshield wipers, they moved about 1/8", I pulled the fuse and it was blown again... I pulled my keys, made sure the wiper switch was off and installed another fuse, inserted my key and turned the ignition on and off and then re-checked the fuse, it was still good.
I then re-installed the fuse and tried my wipers once more, the fuse blew again...anytime the wipers are turned on the fuse blows.

I dont even know where to begin with this and a search didnt bring up anything helpful.

Is it possibly a bad motor? What is the best way to check? Is there a compatible motor that is usable from another vehicle such as the Toyota Celica?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I was driving my 2005 Lotus Elise tonight in the rain and suddenly my windshield wipers stopped working...
I shut the car off and checked my fuses, the 15amp fuse under the passenger side dash was blown so I drove to a nearby auto store and bought a 5 pack of replacements.
After installing a new fuse I tried my windshield wipers, they moved about 1/8", I pulled the fuse and it was blown again... I pulled my keys, made sure the wiper switch was off and installed another fuse, inserted my key and turned the ignition on and off and then re-checked the fuse, it was still good.
I then re-installed the fuse and tried my wipers once more, the fuse blewy again...anytime the wipers are turned on the fuse blows.

I dont even know where to begin with this and a search didnt bring up anything helpful.s

Is it possibly a bad motor? What is the best way to check? Is there a compatible motor that is usable from another vehicle such as the Toyota Celica?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
If the wiper mechanism is jammed, the wiper motor will stall and draw too much current. Fuse will blow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the wiper mechanism is jammed, the wiper motor will stall and draw too much current. Fuse will blow.
This very well could be the issue... as stated in my previous post when I replace the fuse and turn the wipers on the wiper moves slightly before the fuse blows.

Whats the best way to test movement?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Whats the best way to test movement?
I'd unplug the motor connector and power it directly from a 12V supply. If you don't have one, you could use a spare battery or run jumper cables from the boot. Be very careful that your connections to the motor terminals are secure and that there is no chance of shorting the circuit. Stay well clear of the mechanism; these motors generate a ton of torque.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the wiring harness from the motor and hit the wiper switch with the key on, it didnt blow the fuse. This rules out the wiring and switch.
I then proceeded to remove the wiper motor and got it out with a little struggle, I have disconnected it from the linkage and have it in my living room now :clap:
I am wiring it up with a 15amp inline fuse so I can test it and see if it functions or blows the fuse.
I will post up the results tomorrow.
I have read that this wiper motor is the same one that is used in a Renault?
Is there any other vehicle I can cross reference this motor out of that is available in the US?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delayed response

So as stated in the last post I have removed the motor from the bracket and linkage. I tested it by hooking it up to direct power w/ a 15amp inline fuse, the motor didn't move, instead it blew the fuse.

Here is a pic of the old motor:

I then ordered a replacement motor/bracket/linkage assembly since I knew the motor was faulty.

I have a few concerns:
1.Lotus sells just the motor/assembly/linkage as one unit, this requires the front clam to be removed in order to replace it.
Why dont they want you to just replace the motor?

2.I have received my new wiper motor assembly and will be installing it tomorrow.
How do I properly time my motor/wiper to ensure that when I turn the wipers on it wont hit my bodywork/clam? There arent any timing marks, and I am afraid that if I dont have the motor and linkage in the proper position that it wont stop in the correct spot.

3.If the motor only spins one direction I don't think I will need to worry about timing or position.
Does the motor spin in one direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) or does it go both directions to control the motion of the wiper blade?

I have included pictures of the old burnt out motor and the new wiper motor assembly. I intend to just use the new motor from the wiper assembly I received.

Here is the new wiper assembly that I plan to use the motor from:

Any help is greatly appreciated, I live in Washington and my Lotus Elise is my daily driver... Rain X has been working so far but I am ready to have my wiper back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ISSUE RESOLVED!!!!

So I tested the wiper assembly and it does spin only clock-wise... Knowing this proved that timing wouldnt be an issue as long as I had the wiper in the correct spot when I hooked the linkage up.
I was able to install the motor in about 20 minutes and it works like a charm.

If anyone is curious I have a video of the wiper linkage working outside of the car here:
Lotus Elise Wiper Assembly in action! - YouTube

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Good on you!
If you don't mind sharing, how much did the assembly run you?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Too bad I just saw this thread!! I had the same issue, turned out there was a tab under that black cover where the harness connects (the clocking mechanism) that had bent up and it was shorting out to ground, I am familiar with the inside since I modified mine to stop with the wiper blade in the center of the windscreen. Simply had to message it back down, no issues since, didn't even have to remove the motor. I hate having to buy new parts, I always look to fix first before replacing....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good on you!
If you don't mind sharing, how much did the assembly run you?
I found mine used for $85 from a scrap yard... I purchased the whole assembly rather than just the motor. New price is $600 for the assembly or $100 for just the motor from Eliseparts.com
I only used the motor from my assembly so I have a spare bracket and linkage set now.

Lotus manual says this job requires the clam to be removed and would take 10+hrs of labor to complete the job but if you just remove the motor it shouldn't take more than 45 mins... go the easy route if you must do this and ONLY change the motor ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Too bad I just saw this thread!! I had the same issue, turned out there was a tab under that black cover where the harness connects (the clocking mechanism) that had bent up and it was shorting out to ground, I am familiar with the inside since I modified mine to stop with the wiper blade in the center of the windscreen. Simply had to message it back down, no issues since, didn't even have to remove the motor. I hate having to buy new parts, I always look to fix first before replacing....
So your motor was shorting out because of a tab located inside the black plastic wiring area or under the black metal housing? Can you send a picture or describe better? I will check my motor out and send my replacement back if I can lol. No need to waste $85 if my original motors fault can be repaired.

What do I need to disassemble on my wiper motor to check this tab/short issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
So your motor was shorting out because of a tab located inside the black plastic wiring area or under the black metal housing? Can you send a picture or describe better? I will check my motor out and send my replacement back if I can lol. No need to waste $85 if my original motors fault can be repaired.

What do I need to disassemble on my wiper motor to check this tab/short issue?

Thanks!
Its' under the black plastic housing (there are clips, it just snaps on) the rotory gear and worm drive are in here as well, the power is transmitted through a pick-up embedded on the plastic gear in the housing, this keeps the motor turning when you turn off the power at the wiper stalk in the car until the wiper (motor) is clocked in the correct position.
It will become more clear when you open it and get a look, it helps if you have the schematic to follow which each pin in the connector does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts