The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know we have a few wine drinkers on this board. I want to send a couple bottles of good white wine to a friend on the east coast for her birthday, but I have no idea what's good because I only drink red wine.

Suggestions? Preferably under $100/bottle...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
50 bottles of Trader Joe's "Two Buck Chuck"

:)

Sorry, I will now let those with a clue answer. I recently graduated from screw tops and cardboard box wines, and no longer call Robert Mondavi "A bottle of Bob."

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Nice gift Mike!

Such a personal question really, but...

H. DÖNNHOFF - Riesling Spätlese Nahe Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle 2001.

AUBERT - Chardonnay Sonoma Coast Ritchie Vineyard 2001

Both should be around $50, but Wine Specator's favorable ratings will probably have made their for sale prices skyrocket. That should keep you under the $100/bottle budget, which is quite healthy. Way into the area of diminishing marginal return.

[Edit]You might want to peruse your favorite wine publication or chat with your local sommelier, to get tasting notes that mesh with what she might enjoy.

Please contribute to our original wine thread with your weekly selections in the red category, if anything stands out![/Edit]

- J

PS: If anyone wants to get M. Wedgie drunk, get her a bottle of tawny port.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Randy - lol! Actually, those TJ wines are pretty decent, comparable to many $10 bottles of wine we've tried. Their inexpensive price makes them a great everyday wine, we buy that stuff by the case.

Mike, can't really suggest much as I too stick to the reds. I don't think the Northern CA wineries are known for their whites though, so maybe stick with a French or German one. I've often enjoyed Gewurztraminers and Reislings, I found them more interesting than Chardonnay.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely don't go by the theory that a wine must be better if it costs more... The "less than $100" thing was just to weed out expensive wines without ruling out moderately priced wines that may be special in some way.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I'll have to address the wine "From: Michael and EliseTalk" ;)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
This is what I would do: go to your favorite wine shop, and get a recommendation from someone there that you trust. Also, does this person like dryer style whites, or sweeter ? If dryer, then I would go for something like a nice Alsatian wine (Alsatian Riesling can be amazing, and nothing - nothing - like the typical German Rieslings, though there are also excellent examples of these). Also, consider a nice Sancerre, which is a sauvignon blanc varietal grown in that apellation, which is in the Loire. Sancerre goes very well with a variety of foods, particularly many seafood dishes, or shellfish. Or, get her a nice Chablis (the real thing, not the stuff from E&J Gallo). Chablis grows exclusively (or nearly exclusively) the chardonnay grape, so these are chardonnays, but in a different style than most California chardonnays, for example. Not as "big", but generally a better match with food, and more about the grape than about oak or "butter" or any of that stuff. This is true of most french wines and the "old world" wines generally, which is why I like 'em a lot. Now if you want to get her a great white in this style, you can't go wrong with an Hermitage, from Chapoutier, for example.

If she's more into the "new world" style of wine (bigger, fruitier, younger) then you can't go wrong with some of the big-name Chardonnays from California. Not such a big name, but one Napa Valley Chardonnay that I really like is produced by a winery called Miner, you might want to check that one out.

For an amazing sweeter style wine, the Tokaij mentioned previously should impress, as would a nice Sauternes, or an Eiswein (Ice Wine). Any of these would probably knock her socks off !

Happy tasting !

·
Registered
543 Posts
mike,
try Trefethen's Eschol White, andything Sterling has to offer, and Simi is another excellent vineyard for whites. all california wines. good luck!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mike,

This thread is too close to your other one to pass this up. Remember, drink the wine after you go flying, not before.

On the serious note, if your friend likes sweet desert whites, you might look for an ice wine, or an auslese (for German wines, I prefer Mosels). If they prefer dry whites, then there are a lot of nice chardonnays out there to be found reasonably priced.

But since I also prefer reds that is about the extent of my white wine knowledge.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
In my experience, unless someone is very serious and very knowledgable about wine, it's pretty much a waste of time to buy anything more expensive than about $20 a bottle.

I'm definitely not a wine expert, but I've been around a bit, and a good Alsace Riesling in the $15-20 range should be well appreciated by most folks. If your friend is into sweet dessert wines, it's hard to go wrong with a nice Muscat. Or consider Ice Wine - a little pricier, but excellent as a treat.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Head over to Sam's Wines and talk to the people there and have them direct you to the type of wine you think she will like. Great people over there and they know their stuff.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Bubbly, my friend. That is what I recommend. For 100 bills you can get a fine bottle. Champagne is considered a far more special treat by most - especially for an occasion such as this.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
shinoo said:
Bubbly, my friend. That is what I recommend. For 100 bills you can get a fine bottle. Champagne is considered a far more special treat by most - especially for an occasion such as this.
Good idea. However, I have a hard time telling the difference between a $25-30 bottle and a $100 bottle. So I wouldn't waste the money unless you really want to try something in particular.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i don't drink a lot of white because i like red so much better.
but when i do, these are my favorites:
Pouilly Fuisse
Pouilly Fume
Sancerre

None of them are too extreme in terms of price - you can get good ones for around $25.

Then again, since white wine is not my favorite, I'm sure there are lots of good ones I've never tried.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is it for a guy or girl? Either way two of my favorites as well as my wife's are Pinot Grigio and Chenin Blanc. Callaway makes a good Chenin Blanc that's inexpensive. I mean $7-8 /bottle. Pinot Grigio has a very wide range in price. I had some really good Grigio just recently but forgot the label. Have to go look. I'm not much for white wine but those 2 are usually good. Especially with creamy pastas, chicken, fish, and pork.

·
Registered
971 Posts
zOOmz said:
I also like Mosels. I have had some interesting very inexpensive Zeller Schwarze Katz that was light, fruity and great for summer. :)

z
Speaking of Mosels, I spent last weekend in Bitburg (I had to go there for work), and we took a day trip to Trier so I got a half dozen bottles right at the source.

There was also a track day at the Bitburg airport on Sunday, so I watched and drooled. There were a lot of 911s, several M-Coupes and Z-3s, and four Elises (three S-1s and an S-2). Since I couldn't join them on the track, I went Karting instead.

There was also an Opel Speedster at the hotel all weekend.

It was enough car exposure to satisfy my Elise lust for a while, but also increasing my desire to get mine soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts