The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I would certainly do it in a heart beat. The Lotus Elise is one of the few cars that could pull it off perfectly. I would think however it would be very hard to do...ever see the door hinge on the Elise. Now that's a door hinge. I a little turned off to a univeral kit that needs alteration to the car. I would only probably do a direct bolt on "made for the car" kit.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Most of those Lanborghini kits use crappy hinges, anyway... a real lamborghini's door is connected much differently. I'd be afraid that the motion wouldn't be smooth using a hinge.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Uh, no. Not for the Elise. Added weight with no added functionality.

Might do it to my Jeep Wrangler. Now that would be funny.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Buy a Honda.

The Elise is the ultimate sports car . Not a rice mobile...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
TimMullen said:
Buy a Honda.

The Elise is the ultimate sports car . Not a rice mobile...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tim Mullen
So a Lambo with those doors is a rice mobile?

I would not put that crap on my Elise either, not because they wouldn't look good, but instead they probably add more weight and aren't relable. I guess in your eyes they'd look like a Japanese import? Or a Lambo?

Lotus has even toyed with the idea of these types of doors but opted not to do so because of weight and reliability issues and probably costs too. So I guess if they actually did make it availble on the fed Elise you wouldn't buy one because it would look like a Japanese import? You and others that make the "rice mobile" comments are at best "censored".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
963 Posts
TimMullen said:
Buy a Honda.

Tim Mullen
What's wrong with Honda? My S2000 is a very nice car.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Damn man. These ricers are getting ridiculous. Those pictures are some funny $hit. No for my Elise. Keep that junk on a lambo, mclaren, enzo.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
huggy bear said:
Nope. They belong on the Lambo - it was designed for them.

But it is kind of silly to spend big money to modify a car so the doors open "like a Lambo", and are actually less functional than the regular doors.

The "Buy a Honda" comment was about the availability of parts to "rice" a Honda. There is nothing wrong with Hondas. In fact I like our Accord very much. And the one we had before that.

It's just that I don't particularly want the Elise to get the reputation of a "rice mobile". It will only hurt it's insurance rates, and cause undue attention to the rest of the Elise drivers that just want to enjoy the best sports car...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
huggy bear said:

I would not put that crap on my Elise either, not because they wouldn't look good, but instead they probably add more weight and aren't relable. I guess in your eyes they'd look like a Japanese import? Or a Lambo?

Lotus has even toyed with the idea of these types of doors but opted not to do so because of weight and reliability issues and probably costs too. So I guess if they actually did make it availble on the fed Elise you wouldn't buy one because it would look like a Japanese import? You and others that make the "rice mobile" comments are at best "censored".:rolleyes:
Very Well Said Huggy! You make valid points.

I wish people would stick to giving plausible reasons for approval or disapproval. Something more useful then "The Elise is the ultimate sports car. Not a rice mobile." Comments like that don't add anything to the discusion. What's with this ethnic/racism car bashing anyhow. :rolleyes: Customizing a car dosen't automatically ruin the car. I do agree that if it can't be done right, or adds much weight I wouldnt be interested but it dosen't hurt to consider new things.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You must be joking! No way I would every do that to my Liz. The Lamborghini is designed that way from the get go. I don't believe in adding things that 1. Don't improve the car and 2. Decrease the resale value.

Let's hope the Seloc people don't see this thread, they will laugh their ass off.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Also, lambo doors and gullwings are designed with a structural purpose in mind. form follows function... not the other way around ;)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Exactly that's why "rice" comments just show ignorance because they are based upon preconcieved notions of ethinicity and the Japanese import subculture. Make a valid case and don't sling that term around so loosely. It is derragatory to some members.

From Nick Adams:
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2932
22. "He talked extensively of the work that they had done in trying to perfect gullwing doors on the project. They had built a number of prototypes. They were too much weight, too leaky, too expensive, and too complicated were his conclusions. "

I assume he means the gull wing doors and not the gull wing roof doors like autostyle solutions product

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Derek said:
Let's hope the Seloc people don't see this thread, they will laugh their ass off.
OH NO! How could I ever live without there approval. What was I thinking. I wish to be patted on the head like a good boy, I need to conform. Please, is that really your concern? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
1fast,

Non-conformism need not involve bad taste. While seeking approval from SELOC is a poor reason not to get Lambo doors on your Elise, the fact that doing so would result in a cheap, kitschy, piece of crap should be reason enough to hold you back.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
If a product is cheap and poorly engineered, then it has no place whether its tacky or not. Your missing the point. Some of these views are based on personal biases and not from actual engineering bases. Just look at the comments being thrown around. I just dismiss opinions when it comes to purely taste and not valid practical consideration. Taste is so personal Im sure your not implying yours is better then anyone elses. I thought some of your posts on the subject were useful as they addressed possible problems. That's what's needed, since most people can satisfy there own taste on there own

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The doors on the lambo are not really gullwing, morre of a scissors type action, gullwing would be morre like the delorean doors (the doors lotus designed)

As to putting them on the elise,.......... WHY??????????
Chris

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
The doors on the lambo are not really gullwing, morre of a scissors type action, gullwing would be morre like the delorean doors (the doors lotus designed)

As to putting them on the elise,.......... WHY??????????
Chris
Some enjoy, road course racing, some enjoy weaving in and around cones, some enjoy customizing and making it there own unique pleasure.... why buy a car to race on a track and end up where you started. That's not transportation.... why is because it is what is fun too you. Very simple.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts