The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard a whining/whistling noise while driving over 4K RPM. The sound gets louder when accelerating at times. While sometimes it is not there. I do not have a supercharger :D

Maybe changing the oil will help. Had anyone used Royal Purple or Mobil 5W40 Diesel oil. Wal-Mart now seems to carry them.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think there are a number of people who use the diesel oil. I use Redline Euro Spec and (so far) all seems to be going well.

I have no idea if this will help your whistling issue, however.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
Probably not the case, but maybe the fuel pump?

An oil change will probably not affect the whistling noise. Have you checked your intake boot to see if there are any vacuum leaks? Also like sturgeongeneral said, what condition is your belt in?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My winning always happens when I accelerate :), my whining on the other hand happens when I get a repair bill. ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've heard the whining sound as well when driving with the windows open as I'm accelerating. I'm not sure what it is either, nor have I taken a look at my belt yet.
Wasn't sure if it was normal. I don't always notice it, and it isn't loud at all. I've maybe heard it 4 times on days where I was driving on quiet roads.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
It may sound weird but check your speakers in your car... i had a similar experience with my honda long time ago.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
^^^ Yeah I agree sounds like engine noise, do you have an amp?

Either way if you figure out how to recreate it you may become a hero on the celica boards. They would die to have a SC sound in there cars.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
What 72D said. It could also be interference coming through your speakers. Does it do it with the radio off?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
this happens to me too, a whistling noise on acceleration
I ignore it
I attribute it to the Snorkel being off on my car

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
What 72D said. It could also be interference coming through your speakers. Does it do it with the radio off?
Yes, even if the radio is off. Until I disconnected one of the speakers to test on the driver side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts