The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The World Motor Sport Council met in Paris on 17 March 2009 and decided that the 2009 Formula 1 Drivers World Championship will be awarded to the driver with the maximum wins irrespective of the points. In the case of a tie the points accrued over the year will be used as the tie breakers. Positions 2 onwards will be decided by points only.

Full text of the FIA press release at: Wins to decide F1 World Champion (by Chapman Report Online)

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
why do these knuckleheads keep changing all the rules? geez leave the sh*t alone!

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
why do these knuckleheads keep changing all the rules? geez leave the sh*t alone!
Constantly changing the rules makes it hard to compare drivers over the years.

Did they address how they would favor red cars irrespective of all other rules?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Few more years of Max M. and the sport will be dead for good.

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
Did they address how they would favor red cars irrespective of all other rules?
they just did by saying the driver with the most race wins, wins driver's championship. Didn't massa have more wins than Ham last season? AFAIR, ferrari driver's have usually had the most wins (since Zo)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Didn't massa have more wins than Ham last season?
Yep.

Found this on the BBC website.....

TITLES THAT WOULD HAVE CHANGED
1958: Actual champion: Mike Hawthorn
Most wins champion: Stirling Moss

1964: Actual champion: John Surtees
Most wins champion: Jim Clark

1967: Actual champion: Denny Hulme

1977: Actual champion: Niki Lauda
Most wins champion: Mario Andretti

1979: Actual champion: Jody Scheckter
Most wins champion: Alan Jones

1981: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet
Most wins champion: Alain Prost

1982: Actual champion: Keke Rosberg
Most wins champion: Didier Pironi

1983: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet

1984: Actual champion: Niki Lauda

1986: Actual champion: Alain Prost
Most wins champion: Nigel Mansell

1987: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet

1989: Actual champion: Alain Prost
Most wins champion: Ayrton Senna

2008: Actual champion: Lewis Hamilton
Most wins champion: Felipe Massa

·
Registered
143 Posts
So..Jim Clark World Champion '63,'64,'65,'67 by this formula (and gone in '68).
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Don't worry. If Massa gets more point while Hamilton gets more wins this year then they'll change it right back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm betting that we'll see a lot more failures this year, as teams use 100% of their engine this week and the next week is written off. Throwing consistency out the window will certainly change the sport for the worse.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The problem is that consistently coming in the top 8 takes skill, coming in first place takes skill and circumstance (or luck). By changing it the way they have, they're de-emphasising skill. You'll notice they kept the old formula for determining team world champion.

Comparing it to past champions is pointless, as the results would have been influenced by the rules in place at the time. You can be bet that Hamilton would have driven differently in Brazil if his goal was to finish higher than Massa as opposed to finishing 5th or better.

For me, the biggest disappointment here is that we'll likely know who the world champion is before the season is over.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd rather see great driving rewarded with the driver's championship. A consistently finishing car is for the constructor's championship. Regardless of color.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm betting that we'll see a lot more failures this year, as teams use 100% of their engine this week and the next week is written off. Throwing consistency out the window will certainly change the sport for the worse.
They risk a 10 position penalty for that, so I don't think it'll happen.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats a specious argument - the drivers always drive to whatever rules they have. If Prost , Hawthorne, etc... knew that they needed wins instead of points they would have approached the races differently and would have won many more races.

Yep.

Found this on the BBC website.....

TITLES THAT WOULD HAVE CHANGED
1958: Actual champion: Mike Hawthorn
Most wins champion: Stirling Moss

1964: Actual champion: John Surtees

1967: Actual champion: Denny Hulme

1977: Actual champion: Niki Lauda
Most wins champion: Mario Andretti

1979: Actual champion: Jody Scheckter
Most wins champion: Alan Jones

1981: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet

1982: Actual champion: Keke Rosberg
Most wins champion: Didier Pironi

1983: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet

1984: Actual champion: Niki Lauda

1986: Actual champion: Alain Prost

1987: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet

1989: Actual champion: Alain Prost
Most wins champion: Ayrton Senna

2008: Actual champion: Lewis Hamilton
Most wins champion: Felipe Massa

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They risk a 10 position penalty for that, so I don't think it'll happen.
If you could run the engine hotter in one race to guarantee a race win and knock the next guy out of the championship I can totally see teams giving it a try.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you could run the engine hotter in one race to guarantee a race win and knock the next guy out of the championship I can totally see teams giving it a try.
Problem is, there's no such thing as a guarantee, and in this scenario 2nd place is just awful. You didn't win this race, and you potentially crippled yourself for the next race. At least tiebreaks are still using the skill based numbers.

Ironically a better fix would have taken an almost opposite approach by flattening the curve and then either adding or creating incentives. A reverse starting grid would be a nice approach if they want to encourage passing, especially if there are rewards added for passing, or most improved position. There's plenty of things they could have tried. The good news, that all things considered, they only made a minor change and in the long run it won'h have a significant impact and is easily reversed.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That approach almost guarantee's you won't win the next race. Few drivers come from 10th or farther back to win.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That approach almost guarantee's you won't win the next race. Few drivers come from 10th or farther back to win.
I'm saying the team puts all their eggs in the new engine's basket. You qualify first, you win, and then your engine pops half a lap into the start of next week's race. Then you do it all again the following week. That is what is being rewarded now... alternating "good" and "dnf" races. Having a "110%" map in the ECU was already programmed in every car, though used sparingly for passing and not whole races. If you don't qualify well, you can still back off the power and save your engine. My only question is will this tactic be used by every team in every race, or only a select handful... I can guarantee you that teams will be trying this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts