The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of this aluminum eating road salt hell.
I got bored last week and worked on a new bracket to hold my amp and painted my valve covers. I had another amp rack but it busted, it bolts onto the taillight bolts and underneath the trunk carpet...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
very nice...can I ask what type of paint you used on the engine cover? On my first elise I painted my covers with touch up spray paint from automotivetouchup.com, but eventually there was some mild cracking/peeling, so I was wondering whether this time I should use something more heat-resistant...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
did you use any adhesion promoter on the cover first?

·
Registered
774 Posts
i used krylon fusion yellow, then silver, then orange.
After that I went over it with clear and wetsanded the crap out of them
Presuming the clear is enamel too, right?
I did mine last month too, and baked it in front of my fireplace vent for 3 days straight after. The enamel literally bakes on wonderfully.

Nice looking work on those! :clap:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sorry i dont know anything about painting. Why yellow then silver then orange.

Second, how did you get the lettering and emblem done so crisp. Hand painted? Please include details. :D

Thanks in advance:bow:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The CO paint is kind of this candied orangy yellow metalic.
Since I dont have a spray gun to try and replicate it exactly I tried to mix a bunch of layers together to get it as close as possible. It actualy matches really well. The letters and logos are just painted on with enamels by hand

·
Registered
645 Posts
Man it looks so good. I really wanna do it but i cant even draw a straight line so hand painting the emblems makes me nervous to say the least.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Can you describe what use used to 'wetsand'?
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
so I guess krylon is pretty heat resistant? Did you mask off the letters, logo at any point? Well i guess you have to paint the cover first mask that off, paint the letters and mask that off and finally paint the logo.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
262 Posts
Madden,
Thanks for the info. I painted mine but it failed. :mad:
Everything went well until I sprayed the clear coat. I used Krylon Fusion (Yellow) first, waited three days then tonight I sprayed KRYLON Crystal Clear Spray Triple-Thick Glaze spray but it disolved the yellow paint. I see bunch of craked shaped textures.

Could you tell me what you used for the clear coat?
Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts