The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
I live in northern NH and store 2 cars in an unheated garage and another in a garage that's unheated but under the house so temps aren't as low. I've not had any problems with condensation or damage from same. Nov. and April can be pretty damp, but the winter months are so cold that humidity isn't much of a problem. Mice are another issue altogether, and there's a lot of folklore about the best prevention measures...traps, dryer sheets, mothballs, peppermint oil, pepper spray around the garage door where they could get in. I've used them all. A good cover, extra air in the tires, check anti-freeze concentration, Sta-bil, Battery Tender, no salt on it when you put the car away and wait until it's all off the roads before you take it out, and you'll likely be just fine.
YES..........Sta-Bil is a MUST

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not sure why being under the car port prevents this condensation from appearing, but I am far more comfortable storing my Elise there than I would be before I saw what happened to my Ford out in open.
Radiant heat loss (night sky cooling) is the reason. Without anything above it, your Focus will radiate quite a bit of heat to space and it's surface temperature can easily drop down below ambient air temperature. Once below dew point, water will start condensing on it. On the other hand, if you put anything between your car & the cold of space (carport, tree/leaves, clouds) your car will then be interacting with that instead, which will keep it from dropping below ambient air temp or so & thus no condensation on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I live in maine in a barn had to build mice proof doors lot of work but was fun worked great willing to pass the design on

21 - 24 of 24 Posts