The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the surprise snow we had the car wuz off the road so I decided 2 make some mesh grills to replace the plastic ones that have been bugging me for a while. I'm really happy with how it turned out and thought I'd post it incase anyone else wuz thinking about doing it.

I removed the clam and had to do quite alot of cutting which originally wuz a lil nerve racking cuz I wasn't sure if the paint would chip or be prone 2 easy chipping if it wuz now exposed but all went well. I used aluminum mesh, bent and shaped it then painted it with some black urethane paint I had with some gloss clearcoat (probably should have gone with semigloss). I can't go back cuz I ended up cutting off all the mounting holes (roughly 3/4" to 1") for the plastic grills but meh... I'll never want 2 put them back anyways. Anyways here are the pics! Let me know what u guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
4got 2 mention I had the clam off and knew I needed a hole for the tow hook but forgot 2 measure it prior 2 taking the clam off and being lazy I didn't use the plastic grills 2 take measurements cuz I left them @ the office so I decided 2 cut it in the middle. Unfortunately the tow hook isn't in the middle!!!! it's below center DOH!! but it's not that badly off I figure when I get some rubber grommit it will show even less. This is the only pic I have of the grills since installing sorry it is so dark I'll get a daytime one if anyone wants to see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
do you have any close up pics of the finished product, especially the oil cooler vents.
I may try this next week, the only thing that was holding me back was how the cooler vents looked without being cut. Your solution seems to have fixed that

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where did you buy the mesh, and what was the cost, if you dont mind my asking.

thanks,
T.J.
Hey T.J.
I went around to all the metal scrap yards in the area but it seems aluminum expanded mesh is not as common and when u do find some it's all wider diamond spacing and usually the flattened variety.
I ended up going to a metal shop and buying a whole sheet of it but to my surprise it wuz pretty cheap even compared to buying scraps from a yard. I bought standard expanded mesh I forgot the opening size but it's the smallest they had and it cost $65cdn for the whole sheet! You could look into stainless if u want but the metal shop I delt with didn't have SS.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do you have any close up pics of the finished product, especially the oil cooler vents.
I may try this next week, the only thing that was holding me back was how the cooler vents looked without being cut. Your solution seems to have fixed that
I'll get you some better pics as soon as I get the car back from the dealer it had to go in for some cracked engine mounts and is still under warranty. You do have to cut a decent chunk from the top of the oil cooler vents to make it flush. When u have it off u just shape it till it's 2 ur liking. Basically if u look @ ur grills now there's a screw hole holding the grill u have 2 cut past there. Give it a shot it's not difficult if ur semi handy with ur hands, if u have n e ques let me know.

Darkside, thanks! I didn't plan on taking pics of the car I wuz actually shooting a picture of the water on the other side and decided 2 snap that off. It's a lil bit dark (didn't have a fill with me) but hopefully I'll get some better pics soon.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That looks great. Nice picture too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts