The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is finally here in the Midwest, and I'm about to add more wear and tear on the Elise, so before it gets all dusty and creaky again I wanted to share a few things I did over the winter.

I'm a wheel hoarder, and couldn't resist a set of RAC Monolites from plastique 999. Stripped and painted flat gold. The paint code was Williams F1 from sometime in the '80's. These will be mostly street wheels this year.

Magical Racing mirrors replacing Craftsquares I've had for a few years. Smaller but slightly convex, plenty of room to see. Rigged up a mount that is clean, I think. Painted the mounting plate black to match the rest of the trim.

I had quite a bit of work done on the suspension by V2 Motorsports. But for fun added a NRG slim hub to mount this really nice Momo from Eliseparts. Can swap out for a grippier Alcantara OMP wheel for track days.

The car is half and half cruiser and track toy these past three years. Hard to believe it's nine years old. Other than a little paint rash here and there from the track grit it still looks pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Wow, very bold choice for the interior trim! I think it works great.

The mirrors are cool, but it seems a little odd to have just that one bit of carbon fiber. Sore thumb.

The Nightfall Blue/matte gold combination is brilliant!

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Love the color on the wheels..........Just don't know about that orange. To each his own and its your car! As long as you are happy.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love the color on the wheels..........Just don't know about that orange. To each his own and its your car! As long as you are happy.

I hear ya! Actually I did the orange about 3 years ago. You can't see the harness bar in the pics but it's chrome orange too. So long as my house co-pilot likes it, and she does, it's good enough for me.

Being able to swap things out pretty easily is one of the things I like the best about these cars. This one started out with a biscuit interior. I got a set of alcantara Lotus sport seats with the harness cutouts and a set of panels from somebody else and it's black. Traded the alcantara seats for leather ones this winter as well. Had a leather shop do a really nice job on a set of 6 point cutouts in the bottom.

Next year who knows it might turn lime green inside.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, very bold choice for the interior trim! I think it works great.

The mirrors are cool, but it seems a little odd to have just that one bit of carbon fiber. Sore thumb.

The Nightfall Blue/matte gold combination is brilliant!
My old Craftsquares mirrors were painted body color. These are a bit smaller and I thought I'd give the cf a try. Normally I'm not a fan of it anywhere except structurally. General consensus of my design advisory team is they look good, but then again they're teenage boys who like slammed vdubs. By the end if the year they may very we'll be flat black.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Magical Racing mirrors
did you order with long or super long stalks? also, did you go with the C-type mount?

I'll finally be doing this over next winter & trying to figure out which length stalk to go with

like what you did with the rims too :up:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just put on the same steering wheel, MOMO Race 320mm, but got it from eBay.

Just curious, how come you decided not to put on the center ring?

Those wheels look great BTW!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Did a shop do the paint on the wheels?

I have a set of wheels, and want to do the EXACT color you did (not for a Lotus), and would appreciate some info

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did a shop do the paint on the wheels?

I have a set of wheels, and want to do the EXACT color you did (not for a Lotus), and would appreciate some info
I have no painting skills, so yes I had a very good shop do the stripping and painting. Asked to see a variety of OEM paint codes, and picked out one from a European Renault that was ID'd as a Williams F1 gold. It was top coated with the flattest clearcoat available. That's basically it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Car looks great Andy! Great wheel choice too. The Monolites are not easy to come by these days!

Thanks Chris!

In the small world category of LT, the wheels I traded you for a few years ago were sold to Gunpilot last year. Both of you are on this thread, how 'bout that?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have no painting skills, so yes I had a very good shop do the stripping and painting. Asked to see a variety of OEM paint codes, and picked out one from a European Renault that was ID'd as a Williams F1 gold. It was top coated with the flattest clearcoat available. That's basically it.
Thank you. I will ask the shops around here if they can do it and how much $

1 - 18 of 18 Posts