The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone drop insurance on the car while in winter storage?

I called and it may only save like $200 but the car would not be covered in case of fire or other damage at home.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Always Comp Coverage only. Don't give them a penny they don't earn.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I believe the car would still be cover under your home insurance policy. If you don't have home insurance, then I would get comprehensive coverage only. $200 can be used for other things, especially this holiday seasons.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This is what I do as well. My Elise gets the least driven. In the the last couple years, I have put maybe 2k miles on it and just lower the insurance until summer comes. I'll be doing the same with the Evora now that I bought a new pickup for winter/bad weather days. So both will be garaged until spring.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same here. My insurance drops $200; comp coverage only. It sits in the corner of the garage sideways on wheel dollies all winter so I can park my Mini in front of it. Then in spring, I spin it around and do whatever maintenance on it and call the insurance company the day before I take it out on the road. This will be the 4th season of that.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Then you don't understand insurance or you use the vehicle year round.

A vehicle will typically NOT be covered on your homeowner's policy even if if it is under the roof. Just like jewelry / valuable riders....if it exceeds limits you have a problem. Evey policy is unique and every state has varying rules

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Seriously
My plus two has been insured for 35 years straight
Whatever the cost
What is the risk
There really isn't any risk. Lowering the insurance down to comp only when you aren't driving the vehicle and "putting it away" saves money and it is still covered (at least in my case) for things out of my control like theft, vandalism, fire etc. Basically you are dropping your collision coverage. I am not driving the cars and they are locked away in my garage. I'm not going to give the insurance company "extra" money when I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
ZERO negative! Foolish to pay for insurance you do not need when car is stored. 30 second phone. Both GTS and Evora are sleeping next to one another with moth balls under each tire. Miata awaits its next play date when we get a week of nice weather...with some snow....
BTW, my insurance agent taught me this 25yrs ago. That is what a good agent SHOULD DO!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok... I dropped collision but I don't expect this to save more than $120 or so. Perhaps having my wife and I with two teenage boys still on the policy and three remaining cars jacks it up.

Now to put a big note on the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your car is worth insuring, absolutely do not compromise your comprehensive coverage for loss, theft or damage just to save a couple hundred bucks a year. Many if not most homeowner's insurance policies strictly exclude vehicles so if your garage burned down your car would not be covered.

Take it from me:

·
Registered
60 Posts
i called my insurance company a few weeks ago for prices on insuring a evora 400 or Alfa Giulia QV (Yet to be purchased) We did 9 months of driving on either car just like I do on my motorcycle. The car (and motorcycles) are insured year round however only insured for 9 months of driving, cant recall how much it saves me, I feel no need paying for full coverage when I will not use it during winter months.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I kept comprehensive the same, just dropped collision and put a note on the rear tire block and a March reminder on my phone. Fire, Theft, etc all covered the same.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
He is reinforcing my point.. KEEP COMP COVERAGE and yes that is painful to see!!!

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
You especially need comprehensive if you're storing your car at a third party site. One winter, I stored my 350Z in a large storage facility where a lot of other cars were stored, and when I returned in the spring, there was a lot of staining on the front end where something had sprayed all across the car. Fortunately, my car cover did its job and there was no damage to the paint. But, yikes, I felt sick when I thought of what could have happened. After that, I built another garage at home for winter storage. And also continued to invest in good car covers all around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts