The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

As the title states (and with motivation from the other winter storage thread about fuel/oil) do I need to put my car on a battery tender if I have a disconnect? I have a Braile with a disconnect switch on top of it. If I'm not driving it I turn it off to keep the Braile happy.

So do I need to get a tender for the winter (plan to drive it once every 3-4 weeks I'd guess) or can I just use the cut-off?

-Ross

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have lost 2 Braille batteries from not having a tender or cut-off hooked up. Once was me being stupid and forgetting about it for a couple of months while leaving it hooked up (without a cut-off). The other was when I pulled the battery out of the car and didn't put a maintainer on it. It was stone cold dead by spring.

Since they can't hold a charge the way a typical larger battery can, I would suggest you put a maintainer on it. I highly doubt it would last the winter without being topped up.

Others who know more about this stuff than I will probably chime in, but in my experience, Braille batteries drain really fast and I wouldn't chance it.
Kev

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so in short the battery can go dead (as in not-chargeable any longer) from just sitting? If that's the case I suppose I'll install a tender...

Thanks,

-Ross

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
install it - it is SOP. Buy a CTEK tender, and use the ATV setting.. It's the setting for the smaller batteries, i use it on my pc-625 and it is flawless. OOOPS - if the Braille is a normal size - i guess you would use the car setting. The PC-625 is an ATV battery, small but powerful, installed for the clam hinge set up. So I stick the tender on ATV for my car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
install it - it is SOP. Buy a CTEK tender, and use the ATV setting.. It's the setting for the smaller batteries, i use it on my pc-625 and it is flawless. OOOPS - if the Braille is a normal size - i guess you would use the car setting. The PC-625 is an ATV battery, small but powerful, installed for the clam hinge set up. So I stick the tender on ATV for my car.
I too swear by the CTEK battery chargers. I hook mine up after each weekend drive. I thought I remembered hearing that it takes 10 days to fully charge a battery before it reaches the "Pulse Maintenance" charging process.

What is this "winter" season everyone is talking about?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Lead acid batteries and gel cell batteries will auto discharge over time, even if they are disconnected from you car.

Lithium ion batteries, on the other hand, have almost zero self discharge and therefore don't require a tender.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I have a tiny "Braille" as well. Had an actual Braille and then bought the equivalent Deka for half the price. Have had for 5 years now and been using the cheapest tenders I could buy no problem (1st one went bad after about 3 years, currently on my second)

Currently I am using this little bad boy from Wal-Mart for $25
Schumacher SEM-1562A Battery Maintainer and Charger - Walmart.com

Just connect for a couple hours once a week. Then before you are really ready to start the car, let it charge for several hours.

I put the pigtail on the battery jump points under the driver side panel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts