The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual says to leave it down, I suppose so that the rear brake rotors don't get warped or rust.

My car is on a flat concrete floor in an indoor underground garage. I have wheel chocks in place.

The car is in first gear.

Any chance it will roll? Some members have had experience with their vehicles rolling while in gear with the handbrake down. But I assume that was without wheel chocks and on an incline?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I stick it in fifth, less chance of moving than 1st,
I can't wait to hear your explanation of why you think this is true.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Just to be clear it is absolutely not true!

Stick it in first or reverse.
First if the potential is for the car to roll forward; reverse if the potential is for the car to roll backwards. Reason: the engine will not have a compression cycle if cranked backwards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Down, in gear and make sure to insulate tires from concrete. Mats or cradles should do the job.

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
down, as for the 1st/reverse thing it really only matters if you are really on that big of a slope - and if thats the case, where the heck are you parking it for the winter? :)

i cut pieces of OSB that are about 12"x12" and then seal them with polyurethane, if you are concerned about rodents there's probably something better to seal them with
edit: the OSB is for under the wheels : )

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't believe this, either.
Instead of a compression cycle, it becomes a decompression cycle. Same effect on stopping the car. Put it in reverse. It's the biggest gear difference, thus needs the most wheel torque to move the car.

I cheat. In 1st on my 4 post lift with tire stops front and rear mounted on the lift itself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I store mine on a flat concrete floor. No jackstands, no e break, left in neutral. It never moves and the tires don't flat-spot or anything. If I had to leave it in gear I'd leave it in reverse, but it really doesn't matter. Someone mentioned putting it on osb polyurethaned. I'd rather park my car on bare concrete than poly'd OSB to be honest. The OSB gives it something less-flat to roll off and will hold moisture if it gets wet (unless you take a lot of time to really polyurethane it 100% water tight), whereas the concrete will dry.

Cars nowadays store really easily. The effects of fuel stabilizers of various brands and types are all up for debate (at best). Just park it, crack the windows, put some dryer sheets in the trunk and floor boards (mice hate them and they smell nice), pull the battery, and walk away. Change the oil when you pull it out if you are scared of condensation issues. Fogging the engine wont hurt but isn't really necessary. It could possibly foul a spark plug...

Just my 2 cents

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
If your garage floor is level like mine why worry that the car is going anywhere on its own? Who needs chocks? I just leave mine in neutral and it's always there in the morning.

Rule of thumb, I never use the e-brake for parking long-term unless absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Instead of a compression cycle, it becomes a decompression cycle. Same effect on stopping the car. Put it in reverse. It's the biggest gear difference, thus needs the most wheel torque to move the car.

I cheat. In 1st on my 4 post lift with tire stops front and rear mounted on the lift itself.
No, Jack. There is still a compression cycle. The valves still close when the piston moves up, thus creating compression. The next cycle the exhaust opens to allow the burnt gasses (or in this case, air) to escape. In a very loose sense, that second cycle could be considered "decompression".

The reason you use low (or 1st) gear is because it takes more revolutions of the transmission to turn the engine; thus the theory is the weight of the car would have to work "harder" to move with the low gear engaged. Reverse is a lot like a low gear and thus is another choice.

BTW, having the car "rest" on the gear teeth when not in motion, will prematurely wear the gears, albeit not by much. The best choice for long term storage is to jack the car up and put in on stands. If not practical, then just chock the car securely and leave it in neutral with the parking brake off.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
having the car "rest" on the gear teeth when not in motion, will prematurely wear the gears
Virtually by definition, if there is no motion there is no wear.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Threads about winter storage are depressing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts