The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have laid up the Esprit V8 for the winter. New engine oil and filter, new transaxle oil, brakes & clutch bled, coolant good and topped up, -40 degree washer fluid installed, iPod removed, car put away cleaned. Optima battery maintainer working well. Car is in my gas heated garage, where I usually maintain temperature at about 5 degrees C (40 degrees F), although I can easily bring the car up to room temperature in a couple of hours if I want to fiddle with things.

Should I periodically start the car and let it idle, or just leave it in hibernation? There is no way for me to actually drive the car over the winter due to ice and snow conditions. First time I have laid up a turbo equipped car, so not sure if there are any particular storage and awakening considerations?

Thanks and all the best over the holidays to all.

Stu

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,428 Posts
Good Moves!

The only thing I'd do in addition:

Throw some Stay-bil anti-Ethanol stuff in the fuel tanks (run it for a while, of course...even if you don't drive the car).

Some say that the ethanol won't harm anything in 3 - 4 months, but why take a chance. :no:

Then, you can let the Esprit "sleep" until that first road-salt-free day.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
987 Posts
I've heard that idling a car may get the engine oil up to temperature, but doesn't get the exhaust warm enough. This causes condensation in the exhaust pipe and I think you know where I'm headed with that. From what I've heard, it's simply better to either keep driving it or not start the car at all over the winter. +1 on the Sta-bil comment. Make sure to keep the gas tank full.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Full tank and Stabil are about what I do, after lots of reading I decided to not start my car frequently, theres way more negatives than any positives on that, also don't they say most damage done to an engine is during starting? I find its harder to scratch the itch waiting for winter to be over.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have had my S4 stored for long periods while out of the country (2 years at the longest) and did have someone start it at least once a month just to make sure all seals stay lubricated. I had them run the heater for a bit, then the a/c. I also had the car on jack stands to keep the tires from flat spotting but had the stands under the suspension so the weight was still on the shocks and springs. Not sure if it was all necessary but it seemed to work. There were no issues when I returned. A big +1 on the Stabil in the fuel and the battery maintainer too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's ok to start the engine as long as you can hold medium rpm's for a while and get everything really hot. It's also better for the timing belt if it gets rotated every now and then.

I would also position the car, if you can, so you can roll it back and forth a few feet. Every few weeks I would spend sometime pushing it back and forth. Also pump the tires up to the max inflation.

My S1 sits a lot so I'm forever playing storage games.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Some approach this subject with an almost religious fervor. If you are only storing for less than 6 months you really don't have to do anything. The problems start when what was supposed to be short term storage becomes long term storage and proper preparations were not taken. For short or long term storage the battery should be removed and kept in a warm place on a block of wood. Charge it for 1 day once a month. The fuel should be removed, as much as possible. That way when you start up you can fill with fresh. The myth of filling the tank to prevent condensation is very much exaggerated and with today's modern fuels they ABSORB large amounts of water. In fact, they tell you fuel cannot be stored for over 6 months and the only people that recommend stabilizer are the ones promoting the product. I like to flush the brake and clutch fluid when I take the car out of storage, that way the fluid is at it's freshest and has the highest boiling point. Protect the car from things that may fall against it or scratch it. Use old blankets and a cover. Make sure the insurance is up to date. Put the keys and paperwork in a safe place where it can be found. Clean and polish it and use rejuvinator (Leatherique) on the leather. If the car is where rodents can get to it place some Mothballs UNDER (not in) the car. Overinflate the tires to help prevent flatspotting. Modern tires may flatspot but once you start driving and they heat up they will be OK. The turbos have no special storage requirements.

To awaken it, undo the storage prep, check tire pressures, add gas, and check fluid levels. If the battery is over 5 years old, tires over 7 they should be replaced and maybe the wiper blades. Recheck your paperwork to be sure everything is up to date. Warm it up and drive it to check all systems.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks guys. Will put the car cover on it and warm up the garage and do the leather one more time. Forgot the Sta-Bil, so will take care of that item as well. No rodent issues, they seem to like the shed though! Might make up a little check list and put it in my phone for reference. It actually warmed up today to about 5 degrees C!

Stu

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow, thanks guys. Will put the car cover on it and warm up the garage and do the leather one more time. Forgot the Sta-Bil, so will take care of that item as well. No rodent issues, they seem to like the shed though! Might make up a little check list and put it in my phone for reference. It actually warmed up today to about 5 degrees C!

Stu
Big disagreements on tanks. My opinion is keep the tank full since it is mild steel and thus will rust less. Here in Florida we can get Ethanol-free gas and I use that in anything that doesn't run often.
Gas four stroke engines tolerate and like a long hot idle on a regular basis. That is not true of 2 strokes or diesels which need to be loadedto get hot enough.

Randy

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Condensation is not an issue if you can keep the temperature from changing. The OP said he had a heated garage and can keep it @ a constant 40. On the other hand Ethanol laced fuel will pull moisture out of the air at any temperature. Once you get too much water in the fuel it will separate out and go to the bottom of the tank where it will rot the steel. Adding stabilizer makes fuel less volatile. Is that what you really want, less volatile fuel? And a whole tankfull of that stuff? IMHO it is MUCH better to drain it as much as possible and use fresh stuff when you wake it up. I have seen first-hand the results of storing a car with full tanks (long term). It isn't pretty. For 6 months there is no problem no matter what you do.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
379 Posts
+2 for 89.5 Esprit's comment on ethanol free gas. It's getting easier to find, always around where boat service is. I like to fill up with that just before storage. You can now find 91 lead free/alcohol free at boat places.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The fuel should be removed, as much as possible. That way when you start up you can fill with fresh. The myth of filling the tank to prevent condensation is very much exaggerated and with today's modern fuels they ABSORB large amounts of water. In fact, they tell you fuel cannot be stored for over 6 months and the only people that recommend stabilizer are the ones promoting the product.
David Teitelbaum
I'll agree and dissagree.

If you want to go to the trouble of draining the fuel that's fine it will not hurt. It will certainly 100% insure that you will not get any water collection.

Yet I've been storing my cars for years with stabil and I believe in the product. One of my 1966 corvettes sat idle for over two years with a full tank of 10% ethanol fuel and was stored at the time with the proper ratio of stabil. That car started in very short order 20-30 seconds or less.

I sold my 308 last july and that car was full with ethanol free 91 octane and stabil. The guy I sold it to did not drain the fuel, he finished (my 1/2 done) timing belt change, checked a few other things and fired the thing right up.

My other cars which unually only sit 6-7 months over the winter including the lotus fire within a few cranks in the spring.

I've never had one negative issue with it's use. Is it snake oil.. I don't know. All I know is I've never had a problem and for a few bucks why not use it. The only negative issues I have heard of with the use of stabil is it's overusage/overdosage. People who have put far more than the 1oz per 2.5 gallons of fuel have had issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts