The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wanted to get your advice on which option is best. Will be keeping my new Elise indoors for the winter, in an underground garage. Should I:

(A) not drive it for 5 months and just leave it without the battery connected and the tires inflated to maximum?

or

(B) drive it inside the garage every 2-3 weeks for about 30 minutes? I can probably accelerate to 25-30 mph for brief periods and drive around in a loop inside the garage.

What's better for the car? I intend to keep it a long time.

Thanks

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
you're going to get ppl answering both ways. I personally do A

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
you're going to get ppl answering both ways
pretty much this

imo, starting it up periodically over the winter isn't all that imperative... however starting it up & moving it (or just pushing it a foot back & forth every other week) will certainly help the tires from developing flat spots

also, good fuel additives are always a safe measure for sitting a while

so with that said, tires & fuel should be your biggest concern... if you choose not to start it just take the battery out completely & put it on a tender...

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
i think the uberthread has a winter storage thing, but i'm not sure...these are just the tip of the iceberg:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/winter-storage-prep-29042/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/winter-storage-tips-28948/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/before-after-winter-storage-16510/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/winter-storage-4604/

many folks say the damage done rolling it around is worse than flatspots :shrug:

personally i'll be washing it, pulling the battery, covering it, and coming back 4 months later.
edit: as well as doing all the correct fluid stuff : D

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Or you could drive it, too. Don't know where you are, but a second set of base wheels are pretty cheap, and it seems Yokohama makes snows that fit (the Pirellis - which are still in the manual I believe - haven't been made for years).

It's plastic and aluminum, and has an 8 year corrosion warranty.

Let the flames begin!:D

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Hi,

Wanted to get your advice on which option is best. Will be keeping my new Elise indoors for the winter, in an underground garage. Should I:

(A) not drive it for 5 months and just leave it without the battery connected and the tires inflated to maximum?

or

(B) drive it inside the garage every 2-3 weeks for about 30 minutes? I can probably accelerate to 25-30 mph for brief periods and drive around in a loop inside the garage.

Thanks
If your climate is like ours, B will pick up enough salt draqgged in by everybody else's daily drivers to make you wish you hadn't.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Or you could drive it, too.

were not going to flame you... actually, I highly encourage everyone to be as honest as you...

...since it helps us decide who not to buy cars/parts from :p ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or you could drive it, too. Don't know where you are, but a second set of base wheels are pretty cheap, and it seems Yokohama makes snows that fit (the Pirellis - which are still in the manual I believe - haven't been made for years).

It's a good point!
There are certainly many days here in Toronto where there is no snow...

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
were not going to flame you... actually, I highly encourage everyone to be as honest as you...

...since it helps us decide who not to buy cars/parts from :p ;)
;)I've never seen an ad on LT that said "stored winters." Not tracked or autocrossed; non-smoker; unmolested; no excuses; original; etc.

But, I get your point, and it's a fair one. See the thread on "never driven in the rain." It doesn't seem to be worth much in the end, and you have all those months of non-enjoyment!!

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Hi,

or

Thanks

Drive it INSIDE the garage, accelerating to 25 to 30 mph for brief periods?? :crazyeyes
What the hell size garage do you have? Is it an empty warehouse? Holy crap!
This will most likely be worse for the car than leaving it be, especially if its a cold garage, please don't say its heated...

Let the car sit with a battery tender keeping it charged and watch for mice trying to make a winter home.

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
;)I've never seen an ad on LT that said "stored winters." Not tracked or autocrossed; non-smoker; unmolested; no excuses; original; etc.
thats because we all ASSUME it gets stored during those months! -eek-

in all seriousness though, you are correct -if proper tires are on it, and you take care of spraying it for salt every once in a while, there's absolutely no reason it can't be out year-round.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Drive it INSIDE the garage, accelerating to 25 to 30 mph for brief periods?? :crazyeyes
What the hell size garage do you have? Is it an empty warehouse? Holy crap!
This will most likely be worse for the car than leaving it be, especially if its a cold garage, please don't say its heated...

Let the car sit with a battery tender keeping it charged and watch for mice trying to make a winter home.

I actually went into a makeshift autocross inside once. One of the club enthusiasts was overseeing a former Home Depot that was now empty.

I took my Elise off the road last year to save on insurance since I expected the winter to be like the previous year (many, many feet of snow). Turned out to have spring-like days all winter long and I used my snowplow only once.....and probably could have skipped that time. This year I'll leave it registered and drive on nice days without water in the road. Already bought the 2nd set of wheels.....

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
I imagine the car would die of other reasons long before either storage method made much difference.

I let mine sit for months. Flat spots are easy with modern tires. I just get on the highway and drive for about 30 minutes. No more flat spots.

There is no question that there is wear associated with starting it and driving it around for no reason. A better question to ask might be what advantage there is to doing it. IMO, none.

From the link in the Uberpost: "By the way, it is NOT a good idea to start the car up every couple of weeks or so - as this will really create the "junk" in the oil. Just leave the car parked for the winter. Running if for short a while does not get it hot enough to burn up the junk - it needs a long drive under load to burn off the junk out of the oil."

I do the usual for the few months that it sits in my garage:

Fill the gas tank.
Change the oil.
Clean it.
Park it.
Trickle charger.
Put mouse traps around it.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Fill the gas tank.
With non-oxygenated gasoline if you can get it. And toss in some STA-BiL, too.

Put mouse traps around it.
The Model A guys seem to think that original Irish Spring bar soap in the car helps. I don't know about that, but it ain't hurting me to do it.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Here in Alaska, I've stored my Porsche (and recently my Lotus) and various other vehicles six months out of every year for the last twenty-five years. Except for a battery that's not on a tender, six months is just not long enough for things to go bad in heated storage.

Before storage, I change the oil, brake fluid, and coolant, and perform other periodic maintenance like replacing fuel filters, adjusting belts and waxing the exterior so it's ready to go in the spring.

I store with the battery disconnected, the windows cracked for ventilation and a breathable car cover on the vehicle. I've never had any problem with fuel going bad. Commercial storage facilities usually want a ¼ tank of gas or less for insurance restrictions. When I pull a car out of storage, I immediately dilute the remaining fuel with new gas. I use to over-inflate my tires, but the times I forgot produced no adverse effects, so I quit doing that.

Don't start your car up for short sessions. Starting a cold engine causes a lot of wear over the life of an engine. At least if you're driving it somewhere, the wear is offset by the utility that follows. But starting it just to start it confers no benefit in trade for the wear. Without getting the engine up above 212° F / 100° C, you'll also be leaving a lot of condensation in the engine and oil. The water and dilute acids that result from combustion products blowing by the rings and oil breakdown can promote corrosion and etching of aluminum components.

Glen

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Dude just take the wheels off and put it on jackstand'

If u could go 35-40 in a circle in the garage I'd do that instead, but just for the fun of it'

1 - 18 of 18 Posts