The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do the experts say its best to not start up car and let run every week of winter storage or to do this. car is parked in corner of heated garage.

if of the start up camp-- how long to allow the engine to run?
what does everyone else do?

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
do a search for more opinions. I don't start mine up at all. Don't start up the lawn mower either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i havent been starting my cars either simply trickle charge along with fuel stablilizer. i read that this was the best approach.

i thought i would ask if anyone had a strong argument for frequent start ups to allow to run at idle at q 2 or 3 week intervals

just wondering if i am taking care of my baby the best way possible

thanks for any and all replies

·
Registered
35 Posts
Start once a month and run until you reach operating temp.

Or not...

Don't over analyse the situation or stress about it.

I've had cars sit with fuel for 3+ years and start up and run just fine right away. I guess maybe our fuel here is very good?

Keep on trickle charge with a good quality charger, and change oil and brake fluid and you're good. Cover it up if you feel the need, particularly if outdoors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
And, and....
Unless the garage is kept heated to summer temps, put some additional air in the tires. Anyone with an unheated garage needs to check the temp protection level of their antifreeze. My preference is a full detail and cover, but even if not doing that, make sure to get all the bird poop and tree sap and other harmful crud off the paint.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When storing, put a vapor barrier under the car......

In addition to the fuel stabilizer and trickle charger, put a sheet of heavy duty plastic, or even a tarp, under the car to act as a vapor barrier, even in a heated garage. Also, if you suspect mice can access your garage, some rat poison mixed with moth balls is very effective in repelling the rodents.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Fuel stabilizer and trickle charger and a few extra pounds of pressure in the tires on the Elises. Note that Elan's and Europa's MUST be started about once a month in storage and the clutch used a few times. Otherwise the clutch disc tends to adhere to the pressure plate.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was starting to think about this, too. Do you guys not put them up on jack stands?

I have an unheated garage, so the car will be subjected to the winter cold. I planned on putting it on jack stands (is this unnecessary? because I currently don't own any...), use a fuel stabilizer, make sure the coolant has enough anti-freeze, and use a trickle charger...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
my winter procedure is pretty simple...

-take the battery out or leave it on a tender (i take mine out & leave it on a tender in my house)

-keep the ebrake down (no benefit to leaving it up while sitting on a flat floor for months)

-some people choose to put extra air in the tires, i personally prefer to physically move my car back or forth a foot or so every other week (just because the tires have more air doesn't mean they wont develop flat spots over time)

-but my biggest rule is to not start the car while it sits (especially if its in an unheated garage/below freezing) that will ultimately cause a buildup of water vapor in the engine thus mixing with the oil

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was starting to think about this, too. Do you guys not put them up on jack stands?
i wouldn't personally... i've heard solid arguments that the springs should sit for long periods of time under load & if they dont, they could ultimately need to resettle which can throw off the alignment/handling for short term

·
Registered
663 Posts
Any of you guys know a good/easy way to test the coolant to make sure there's enough antifreeze in it? I just bought my Lotus a couple months ago and don't know what the previous owner has/hasn't done... granted, the previous owner was from MI, that doesn't mean I trust him that much ^_^

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Any of you guys know a good/easy way to test the coolant to make sure there's enough antifreeze in it? I just bought my Lotus a couple months ago and don't know what the previous owner has/hasn't done... granted, the previous owner was from MI, that doesn't mean I trust him that much ^_^
honestly, if its orange you should be fine...

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
buy a coolant tester? they are cheap

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
How long does a vehicle (or lawn mower etc) need to set unused in order to justify a fuel stabilizer? A month? Three?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
How long does a vehicle (or lawn mower etc) need to set unused in order to justify a fuel stabilizer? A month? Three?
Three months for most lawnmowers.

One month for yellow-and-green mowers. :D

Seriously, I just used up my last can of generator fuel purchased during Hurricane Sandy last October. All summer it was difficult to re-start the thing after empting the catcher bag.

With fresh gas, it's NO PROBLEM.

++++++++++++++++

It's always best to just DRIVE your collector car during the winter if you can. Do it once every other weekend on dry, sunny days. Run the car for 45 minutes to rid the crankcase of moisture.

If you can't run the car (too salty or rainy), use fuel stabilizer and leave the engine off for the duration. If possible, run the engine out of fuel, after adding the stabilizer. (Late Esprit owners can pull the fuel pump fuses until the engine dies)

+++++++++++

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Fuel stabilizer and trickle charger and a few extra pounds of pressure in the tires on the Elises. Note that Elan's and Europa's MUST be started about once a month in storage and the clutch used a few times. Otherwise the clutch disc tends to adhere to the pressure plate.
Triumphs, too. TR3, 4, 6 cars are legendary for sticking clutch in storage in an ordinary garage with variable temp and humidity.

You do NOT have to start the car. Just put the car in gear, depress the clutch and have someone push the car few feet. Helps the tires, too.

If your storage is heated and fairly stable, don't worry about it. Never had a problem with my Europa or TR4 once I built a shop and keep it at 50 degrees F all winter.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I run non-oxy gasoline in the Stag all the time, just adding StaBil for the winter.

The Elise gets a tank of non-oxy with StaBil at the end of the season. Burn it up with 93-octane in the spring before competitive (well, as competitive as I get) autocrossing.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Do not place the car on jack stands. The suspension needs to be loaded during storage from what i hear. I just tenderize it (battery), and stabilize it. (fuel) :) Then work on it all winter. I change the oil also as it takes it's winter holiday. Then I send her to Vegas for some R & R...

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Crap. I might HAVE to jackstand my car for winter in my unheated garage. Now you guys are saying not to jackstand it. Honestly, I don't even know how I was going to do it because the Evora has only one dedicated jacking point per corner. Silly question but how does one go about slipping a jack underneath each corner if this is the case? Is there a safe place on the suspension to lift it temporarily enough to put a stand under that corner?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts