The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... looks like my car will be going into storage not too long after I take delivery.

Has anyone stored a car for the winter? What measures should be taken?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
change the oil - add some fuel preserver and run it through, jack the car so you don't flat spot your tires, disconnect the battery, cover it up and you should be good to go.
I am sure there are a few other things people recommend but those are the major things.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Donovan said:
jack the car so you don't flat spot your tires,
Do not "jack the car". Modern tires don't "flat spot" from sitting too long - especially not with an Elise sitting on them. What "flat spot" does appear, will "disappear" after a few miles of driving.

However, if you do "jack the car", you will leave the suspension at full droop, and that will damage the rubber bushings. Not a good thing to do. Outside of the ball joints, the suspension of a modern car does not "rotate" on any surfaces. The bushings of most all cars (unless it has heim joints) are rubber with an inner and outer metal sleeve. One of the sleeve is "clamped" to the chassis, and the other is "clamped" to the suspension. Any movement of the suspension joint is the flexing of the rubber in the joint between the two sleeves. Leaving the car with the suspension "drooped" for an extended period tends to "stretch" the rubber in the joint, and decrease it's life...

Even if it did "flat spot" the tires, which it doesn't, tires are much cheaper (easier anyway) to replace than suspension rebuilds... If you are really worried about it, roll the car slightly to a new position every week or two.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zcar222 said:
If its not snowing...

Drive it! :cool:

-Whit
I would, but they put so much salt down on the roads here that it's like driving on gravel even when the roads are dry in the winter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I put the S2000 and Exige to bed each winter.

Steps:

Full fuel tanks - Stabil if going to sit over 6 months
Car on jack stands
Wheels removed (to prevent drooping)
Fresh coat of wax
Car cover on
Leave windows cracked a bit

After 4 years my S2000 battery was dead in the spring - I hooked the charger up to it and it was good to go. So, does removing the battery help - couldn't really say.

I also do NOT start the cars during the winter for the sake of starting them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Send it to an Elisetalk brother in a warm climate. They can break it in for you, and maybe even give it back with an autocross trophy or two.

Steve

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Like meat said I should have mentioned taking off the tires/wheels when you jack the car.

I don't know if taking out the battery is that important. Guess it depends on where you live. I take them out of the boat and sea-doos over the winter because my garage isn't insulated and the cold zaps 'em. Guess it depends on how cold your garage gets! Just increases the longevity of the battery. I usually move them to the basement closet...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
meat said:
Car on jack stands
Wheels removed (to prevent drooping)
This does nothing to save the bushings. The suspension is "drooped" because of the springs extending the suspension.

Leave it on the ground...

Tim Mullen

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Why would taking the wheels off make any significant difference if storing the car on jack stands? Doesn't the suspension uncompress anyway due to the spring compression?

EDIT: Never mind, Tim beat me to it with this train of thought!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks Tim,

I always thought it was better to jack up the car but was too lazy to bother. I guess my laziness paid off!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts