The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten winter tires yet? I just got my build date (11/11, yay!), and am expecting to pick up the car just before xmas (yay!) assuming the logistics are improving a bit. Anyway, as I have LSS, I'm not sure of the wisdom of a 150 mile drive home in the middle of winter on the A048s.

My plan is to get a set of SSRs, put winter tires on them, then switch them out for autox tires in the spring. Tire rack doesn't list any options for the car, and I know the stock sizes are a bit rare. Anyone know if I could use a size thats just slightly off the stock? I never would have worried about it in the past, but I don't know if non-stock sized tires mess up the ABS or something. Let me know if any of you have a winter plan yet.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nathan968 said:
Ok, this is a good enough place for an update. I ended up geting Dunlop Graspic-DS2 tires on SSR comps from TireRack.
Thanks for the info. So what sizes did you end up getting with the SSRs?

Also, are these dunlops ok to run in cold rain as well as snow? I know the little marketing blurb on the pirellis mentioned rain, but not the dunlop. I know the marketing blurbs aren't the best source of information, but I know next to nothing about winter tires.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kumho ECSTA ASX

Anyone have an opinion about these? We don't get a lot of deep snow down here in Baltimore, so I'm wondering if the DS-2s might be overkill. Would the Kumhos be better in cold/wet than the DS-2s, while still being ok for some light snow?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Rear sizes

So the Kumhos in the size for the rear are back-ordered at the tire rack, and apparently haven't even left korea yet... So getting back to alternate sizes, anyone have an opinion on how bad the oversteer would be if I used a 195/50-16 front with the 215/50-17 in the rear?

Based on the fact that at the lotus school they wet down the track and put a donut tire on the rear for oversteer practice, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad as long as I don't go crazy.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
rob said:
Wait a minute. Aren't you the guy who posted that it's quicker to walk to work anyway? Why would you want to take your Elise out in the snow if you don't have to?
Yup, thats me. :) ...And the answer is mainly because I'm getting the sports package, and I think tires probably aren't very good in the cold let alone the wet and or snow. I probably can wait for the to plow the streets before going out, altho there hhas been some talk about a winter autox series, which might be hard to resist. So anyway, I'm having a hard time finding anything aside from the LSS tires and the DS-2s that will fit on the LSS rims. These seem to straddle either side of the type of tire I want, so I'm looking around to see if I can find an all season that will work on the rims ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.