The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Dunlop Graspic will be way overkill for you. The side walls will flex to much as compared to the Dunlop Winter Sport M2s. I am positive you will be VERY happy with the Winter Sport M2s for your situation.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Rear sizes

So the Kumhos in the size for the rear are back-ordered at the tire rack, and apparently haven't even left korea yet... So getting back to alternate sizes, anyone have an opinion on how bad the oversteer would be if I used a 195/50-16 front with the 215/50-17 in the rear?

Based on the fact that at the lotus school they wet down the track and put a donut tire on the rear for oversteer practice, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad as long as I don't go crazy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Kumho ECSTA ASX

Evl said:
Anyone have an opinion about these? We don't get a lot of deep snow down here in Baltimore, so I'm wondering if the DS-2s might be overkill. Would the Kumhos be better in cold/wet than the DS-2s, while still being ok for some light snow?
Unless you're getting the sport package, the stock tires should be fine in the cold and wet. Remember, there's a ton of guys in the UK who drive these as daily drivers all year, and half of their year is cold and wet. It's the snow you have to worry about and we have snow on our roads less than ten days a year.

I'm guessing a taxi would be cheaper for those ten days a year.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just checked and you are correct, but the M3s have acceptable sizes and are equally as good.

Stock wheels are (F) 175/55-16 on 5.5" rims and (R) 225/45-17 on 7.5" rims and the ops manual said for snow tires are: (F) 195/50-16 (R) 215/45-17. That does not mean that you can't use other sizes for snow tires though.

I think you could get away with Winter Sport M3's in (F) 195/55-16 (same diameter as GS-2 195/50-16) and (R) 225/45-17 which is the same as stock. The M3's are more expensive than the DS-2's, especially since the rear M3's are runflats, which is certainly ok for winter tires for the street.

The Graspic DS-2's are more dedicated snow/ice tires and when the streets are dry, you will not be happy with them. Marshmellow sidewalls, ruin any cornering possibilities. The Winter Sport M2/3's are certainly fine in the snow, great in the rain and really good in cornering in dry conditions. The Winter Sport M2/3's are H-rated (which is way better) and the DS-2's are Q-rated. I can't stress how good an all around tire the Dunlop Winter Sports are.

I have personally had the following snow tires rated in order of preference: Dunlop Winter Sport M2, Nokian NRW, tied for third place Dunlop Graspic DS-2 and Bridgestone WS-50. These opinions were based on similar performance cars such as the E36 M3, Subaru WRX and not so similar performance, but similar size and weight of a Miata.

For the Elise with the performance, size, weight and actual weather conditions expected, I would go with the above recommendation.

Nathan968, I am just answering the mail and I have nothing against your choice. Just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
rob said:
Wait a minute. Aren't you the guy who posted that it's quicker to walk to work anyway? Why would you want to take your Elise out in the snow if you don't have to?
Yup, thats me. :) ...And the answer is mainly because I'm getting the sports package, and I think tires probably aren't very good in the cold let alone the wet and or snow. I probably can wait for the to plow the streets before going out, altho there hhas been some talk about a winter autox series, which might be hard to resist. So anyway, I'm having a hard time finding anything aside from the LSS tires and the DS-2s that will fit on the LSS rims. These seem to straddle either side of the type of tire I want, so I'm looking around to see if I can find an all season that will work on the rims ok.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rob,

Absolutely not, any good snow tire will be an excellent rain tire. That is by design default.

Evl,

Please take a close look at my post on a great winter tire option, that I believe would be a great option. Don't dismiss the Dunlop Winter Sports.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cisitalia said:
Rob,

Absolutely not, any good snow tire will be an excellent rain tire. That is by design default.

IMHO, I disagree. I believe they typically are good in rain, but snow tires are very much about compromise. The direction of the cuts impacts the way water flows away from the center of the wheel and unfortunately a good cut for rain is not necessarily a good cut for snow traction and vice versa. Furthermore, the additional sipes on the Dunlop Winter Sport M2s are great for grabbing onto ice, but they add a spongy edge to the handling in both rain and in the dry.

I own the Dunlop Winter Sport M2s. I make frequent trips to upstate New York and even sometimes into Canada. They're great in the snow and in the rain. They corner well in the dry, but the precision is a little less than summer tires. The increased tread height and sipes take away a little precision from my already imprecise Mercedes and make it feel like I'm driving on grooved pavement a lot of the time.

I think they're overkill unless you're driving in snow frequently. Baltimore gets about 12 inches of snow a year, much of which melts within a day.

My guess is he'd be served just as well by a good high performance tire that can handle the rain well. He'd certainly enjoy it a lot more in a mid-winter warm spell. It would certainly be different if he lived a hundred miles to the north.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've done about 3000 miles on DS-2s mounted on SSR rims. Dry handling is acceptable and they grip very well on ice and snow. This is good for me since my city considers my street a secondary road and it is salted / plowed less frequently then the main roads.

When this set wears out in a few years I will probably buy another unless the Pirellis or M2/3s become available in the correct sizes. I wouldn't want to mount a wider (more than 215) rear tire as this is may induce more oversteer on snow or slush. If you don't drive in snow frequently you could probably get away with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
ted said:
So, with most of a winter behind us, what have people done? Anyone want to post their experience?
I have had a great time in the winter. We got about 50" of snow this year over various storms, and I have never been stuck of felt unsafe. I have Bridgetone Blizzaks and 1" smaller rims front and back. It plows through the snow no problems. In fact, I checked today and there is snow behind the front grill from scooping through my driveway last storm (Tuesday). Call HRM for details for the rims and tires, they got me a great deal.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.