The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about using this as a front towing device.
It may be a viable alternative to a tow eye.
I haven't thought much about attachment to the factory
tow location.

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
Soft straps are much better but the towing eye does what it was designed for.

Reactions: Kimgt

·
Registered
723 Posts
There is little or no caution on the towing eye on this forum. Seloc a bunch of chat about it. There is a good reason why this wire was invented.
Just be careful pulling your car up onto a deck/ramp with the stock eye . Unless you are following one of the wheels with a chock (most tow companies carry floating chocks).
Metal Font Composite material Machine Auto part

I am sure if I look on Seloc I can find the posts about eyes snapping. It even happens on new cars like BMW and Mercedes. Granted, most others are cast alloy.
The stock eye is a bit of a gimmick, though as there have not really any other options. Also probably not enough failures, because the cars are reliable.
I use a Y sling designed for snowmobiles like this one by Erickson.
Font Bag Service Fashion accessory Eyewear

It connects to the inside of the A arms at the tub. The tow hook is still incorporated with a self equalizing Hitch so when loading, the pull is distributed equally between 3 points.
So I suggest either the wire with some form of chock when loading, and if no helper for the chock. A separate Y sling with an equalizing attachment. Unless your load angle is low, or less than 15 degrees which is a Zero clearance, low angle tow truck.
Remember, 45 degrees adds 50% weight. Most tilt trailers are about 30degree, or about a 35% heavier Lotus.
Then again, the steel eye bends before it breaks.
Just be aware and careful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my folding tow snapped at the threads the second time I had to use it. luckily before i had to have it loaded on to a tow truck. dont think i`ll ever trust another one. wasn`t a jerking pull either but was in an easy gradual turn.

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
The stock tow eye bent the first time. It's a bolt welded to a circle.
Can you tell us a little more about the tow? Was it straight on tow? What were you towing it onto?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.