The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching, and it seems all of the backup camera threads are at least a few years old, and this technology has certainly progressed over the years. Does anyone have any modern recommendations and tips on installation? For what it's worth, this isn't for parking assist. No, I live on a very busy street, and when any vehicle larger than a Miata parks in front of my house, my entire field of view of oncoming cross traffic is obliterated. I am hoping a back-up camera with a wide field of view can help.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I’m looking for a wireless backup camera as well, but for a different car/application. Anyone have any positive reviews on the Type S (link below)?

https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8"-wide-screen-solar-powered-hd-wireless-backup-camera.product.100504814.html

As for a having an in dash video feed, it’s a great concept but it doesn’t work well in practice...unless you want it as a rear view camera or backing up when ONLY going straight.

One of the reasons I bought a Garw dash was for this video feed reason. After I got it in, I found when I back up out of parking spots, the steering wheel spokes pretty much block the video feed as you turn the wheel. So I’m still using my radio’s video feed for backing up safety. Fruit for thought if this is one of the reason to get a new dash.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd go for this, but that's just because I'd want it anyways with or without the camera option: AIM MX2E Digital Dash Logger for Elise & Exige 2005+

EDIT: I missed where you said "wireless". Not sure if this could support wireless through an adapter, or if you'd just have to run the wire which isn't terribly bad.
Wellll... I think my bigger issue is my tracking days are over, and this will just be a fun second car until I sell it, which may be this year (15 years, original owner, 36K miles, probably half of them track!). So I really just need a backup camera as my new neighbor parks his massive truck in front of my house now.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m looking for a wireless backup camera as well, but for a different car/application. Anyone have any positive reviews on the Type S (link below)?

https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8"-wide-screen-solar-powered-hd-wireless-backup-camera.product.100504814.html

As for a having an in dash video feed, it’s a great concept but it doesn’t work well in practice...unless you want it as a rear view camera or backing up when ONLY going straight.

One of the reasons I bought a Garw dash was for this video feed reason. After I got it in, I found when I back up out of parking spots, the steering wheel spokes pretty much block the video feed as you turn the wheel. So I’m still using my radio’s video feed for backing up safety. Fruit for thought if this is one of the reason to get a new dash.
Hmmm... The field of view would seem perfect for my specific needs, and the solar power would maybe eliminate the need for wiring to a rear backup light. Question is: How long does it hold the solar charge? I won't be driving the Elise more than once a week, and the car is garaged.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I'm not fond of the idea of wireless for a backup camera, but HD camera sounds interesting to modernize it. Places like Adafruit have a large selection of LCDs. I'll keep an eye out for interesting camera components.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
37 Posts
I had a Clarion cau001 license plate frame camera coupled with the Clarion NX501 headunit. Worked great until the headunit failed and I decided to rip out that and did away with the camera

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
My current backup camera is lower quality, I would have appreciated an upgrade. With a smaller screen, I agree it matters less. The image getting washed out is a different problem.

·
Registered
No lotus yet, but cant wait to get one
57 Posts
I'd go for this, but that's just because I'd want it anyways with or without the camera option: AIM MX2E Digital Dash Logger for Elise & Exige 2005+

EDIT: I missed where you said "wireless". Not sure if this could support wireless through an adapter, or if you'd just have to run the wire which isn't terribly bad.
This is the wireless attachment for it if you want a wireless version and if you have the AIM MX2E dash.
(any of the first two, plus the third link will work)

1. Rear View (Parking) Camera for AIM MX2E Plug in type [AIMVIDC2] - €39.95 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise
  2. Rear View (Parking) Camera for AIM MX2E Screw on type [AIMVIDC1] - €39.95 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise
  3. AIM MX2E Wireless Video Connection for Reversing Camera [AIMVIDTRX] - €47.50 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I haven’t had much luck finding a better option off-the-shelf. I may roll my own- I don’t have digital dash so I may integrate a small display in the glove ‘shelf’ next to the steering wheel. Is there any other signal to tap into to indicate the camera is in reverse, or is the reverse light wire the only way?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
What video interface is the backup camera?
Not sure what you're asking exactly. The camera wiring harness is a 4-pin round connector I've never seen before. Nearly positive it's running 30awg wire some of the smallest pins I've ever seen. The camera gets power & ground from the 'mirror' and returns video.

The mirror is USB mini-B powered that plugs into the 12v accessory/cigarette lighter port. I'm installing a 12v to 5v buck behind the radio and running power to it from there.

One thing I love is that it allows always on rear view even when not in reverse so it functions just like a mirror. Makes a dumbass chime when you power it on though. I need to mess with it to see if that can be disabled in software.

·
Registered
691 Posts
^ Interesting, please share an update after some use. Does it "clip" onto the existing mirror?

·
Registered
69 Posts
See the post I recently did in the Exige forum here:

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
^ Interesting, please share an update after some use. Does it "clip" onto the existing mirror?
It comes with rubber bands that stretch around the existing mirror and secure it really well for road driving. I track my car and don't trust them, so I'm looking for a better mount.

I just realized tonight when it's off the screen is a mirror so it functions like a regular mirror when not powered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts