The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put wireless CarPlay into my 2010 evora 2+2. I have been looking at the alpine ilx-w650 head units with their micro amps and a set of gladen speakers. I was just wondering if anyone has done this / anything anyone learned from doing the speaker system in their evora.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that the ilx-w650 is not wireless for CarPlay, you should check the new model iLX‑705D for this.
On my side I ve put an atoto s8gen2 ultra, it is cheaper and the same quality than the alpine and you can install android app, for example dash command to display gauge using a obd2 dongle

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
595 Posts
I think that the ilx-w650 is not wireless for CarPlay, you should check the new model iLX‑705D for this.
On my side I ve put an atoto s8gen2 ultra, it is cheaper and the same quality than the alpine and you can install android app, for example dash command to display gauge using a obd2 dongle
I don't know if Alpine is selling this one in the US

·
Registered
305 Posts
I believe the ILX-w650 is as stated not wireless carplay. However Alpine just released a new series of radios which is wireless CarPlay and is also on a completely new operating system vs the old decks. One of the new changes is each channel gets a 13 band EQ so drivers and passenger side you can EQ individually!

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is the advantage of wireless carplay? In my other vehicles I don't mind connecting my iphone with a cable. I know its not a bluetooth connection. Does the headunit use Wifi to connect to the phone? In my 2017 Evora 400 I swapped the speakers/sub and amp but left the stock headunit so I don't have carplay but I am quite pleased with how it all sounds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just installed the ILX-650 into my Evora S. It does not have wireless CarPlay. I did by the external amp but, because my car already have an Alpine unit in it and, the harnesses matched, I just plugged it in without it. It is more than loud enough for my purposes.

I do need to upgrade my speakers, at some point I'll get there.

If you end up wanting the external amp, send me a message, i'll give you a good discount on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the new Alpine wireless CarPlay units are floating, which don't look as good to me as units that sit flush with the bezel. I'm probably going to go with the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX at some point down the line, unfortunately it's tough/impossible to find a wireless CarPlay unit with a physical volume knob from a reputable brand.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,952 Posts
I upgraded mine with a Kenwood head unit and 6.5" Focals in the doors. Also had the factory amp and subwoofer properly wired. Now the systems sounds like it should have from the factory.

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400
260 Posts
I think the new Alpine wireless CarPlay units are floating, which don't look as good to me as units that sit flush with the bezel. I'm probably going to go with the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX at some point down the line, unfortunately it's tough/impossible to find a wireless CarPlay unit with a physical volume knob from a reputable brand.

This is what I want! I agree impossible to find! Knob, wireless car play from a reputable brand!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can’t tell if their ILX-507 is floating or not floatingand is wireless carplay. I believe it isn’t floating due to being called ILX vs F507/509/511 for the floating screens. You can also add a wireless volume knob to the radio.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Kenwood has their floating DNR1007XR, DMX1057XR, and DMX1037S all of which have wireless CP/AA and a knob. But I think the days of a standard double-DIN touchscreen w/ a volume knob and modern connectivity are long gone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The ILX-507 is listed as double din on Alpine’s website

yea the days of volume knobs has been long gone for a while. With most new cars being all touch screen and having steering wheel controls even less of a chance of a manufacturer doing a volume knob.

then so many times they make the buttons on the radio all feel the same,,,, or 100% touch screen…. making it almost impossible to not take our eyes off the road when we want to adjust volume

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,952 Posts
Can you tell me more about the "sub and amp properly wired" bit?
I can't tell you detail specifics as I had an audio shop do the work, but basically the subwoofer wasn't functional from the factory. I think they had it wired to the wrong output on the back of the head unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts