The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My alternative was to use my old iBook as a digital server by pulling tunes over Airport from the powermac. I think I still might do that for:
--looks cool to have one sitting over the reciever with the iTunes visual effects
--Allows local access to whats being played instead of having to go to the desktop to change tunes.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iTunes is protected only if you download from the musicstore, if you rip, you can rip in AAC (better compression/smaller files/higher quality) which are convertible to mp3's easily.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The Express is nice, but I'd want to be able to control my music at the place I'm listening to it. I see the Express being most usefull as a repeater or low cost, short range wireless base station (I saw short range, becase I doubt the antenna in that thing will beat the AirPort's range).

Looks like crap though. Can't beat the AirPort for sheer aesthetic, otherworldly beauty.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Babak, great gadget. Do you know if the Express will work with a non-Airport/non-Apple branded base station (eg. I came into some fast US Robotics wireless routers cheaply), as long as they are .11g compliant? Seems like the whole point of 802.11g compliance is interoperability, but the auto-config. software for the Express setup may not be set to recognize a non-Apple product, which is not true for general wireless network use.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Babak, great gadget. Do you know if the Express will work with a non-Airport/non-Apple branded base station (eg. I came into some fast US Robotics wireless routers cheaply), as long as they are .11g compliant? Seems like the whole point of 802.11g compliance is interoperability, but the auto-config. software for the Express setup may not be set to recognize a non-Apple product, which is not true for general wireless network use.
It should work fine with any .11g base station for the music sharing part. If you want to use it as a repeater (using WDS), it appears that it will work with any Broadcom based hardware. Apple (of course) and Buffalo already being mentioned as working with it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Andy said. Airport already works with windows through it's protocals, i.e. cross platform, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts