The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking at the cars they have with salvage titles , dont know if the car would pass the specal inspection in pa ,that the car would have to pass , anyone see this guys work ,or have a car that they have done , hate to pay over $25,000 for a car that ends up i cant drive ? Thanks

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
i have been looking at the cars they have with salvage titles , dont know if the car would pass the specal inspection in pa ,that the car would have to pass , anyone see this guys work ,or have a car that they have done , hate to pay over $25,000 for a car that ends up i cant drive ? Thanks
'This guy' is Hayes, and he is well known here and the Elise's he sells are put together right. Several guys here are driving his cars with no complaints.

He has been in business a long time and is highly regarded in the wider Lotus community...vintage and modern. I've bought two Europas from him.

BUT it is wholly on you to do your homework about titling a salvage/rebuild car in PA. Each state has differing regulations for salvage cars. He cannot guarantee that PA will title it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I can speak for Hayes, met him in person many times, seen many of his cars and many people on here that buy his cars are happy. Salvage tittle or not his cars are sound or he ditches them.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Hayes is a very nice guy and I've been to their shop (more like a lotus heaven, with memorabilia, art, toys, etc). I've seen some of his salvage title cars and they look great. I wouldn't hesitate if you're looking for a salvage lotus to buy from Wire Wheel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Agree totally with the guys above. If you ever are in Southeast Florida, find a way to stop by Wire Wheel and drool over S1 Exiges and more. Your state DOT would be the issue, not a Lotus from Wire Wheel.

Bob L.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
They will pass, however Pa DMV has been known to take a while to process salvage or reconstructed titles. I've only done two here but they took quite a while (several months-a decade ago though). However the DMV might have improved the process by now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Proud owner of a WireWheel rebuild title Exige S.

Easy to work with Hayes, no issues/surprises with the car and would have no hesitation in buying another from him.

Cheers.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Hayes is a top-shelf dude. He cares a lot about the cars he makes available for sale. I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy one of his...

-Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
No issues with Hayes!

I bought a 2007 Lotus Elise from Hayes several weeks ago. The repair title does not bother me. I know what was repaired, how it was repaired, and why it was repaired! I got a great car at a great price. I jokingly call his compound "The Lotus Factory East". He has so many of these cars in the works, that he can swap parts (interiors, wheels, etc.), and create the Lotus you really want. He makes it so easy, I almost want to buy more stuff from him. In this day and age you usually here only the negative about people (especially used car dealers). The fact that you are not hearing that kind of stuff about Hayes speaks volumes in my mind. Randy

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
They will pass, however Pa DMV has been known to take a while to process salvage or reconstructed titles. I've only done two here but they took quite a while (several months-a decade ago though). However the DMV might have improved the process by now.

Hayes only repairs the right cars, if its not right, it becomes a parts car. He usually asks a little more than other R titled cars, but you could buy from him sight unseen. Other rebuilds, you are taking your chances that the guy knew what he was doing or cut cornert.

As with PA R titles, you can get a car registered the same day you get the inspection report. If you are in Pgh area , PM me and I will walk you through the process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts