The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Southwestern Pennsylvania!

I've been viewing the forum as a guest for a few months and finally decided to register, although it's not like I'll have much to contribute. I've loved the look of the Elise since I first saw it in 2005 and have since dreamed of someday owning one. I'll be hitting the big 4-0 next year, and I'm really starting to think that an Elise would be my perfect midlife crisis car.:rolleyes:

I would love to find a 2005 or 2006 Magnetic Blue Elise with a hard top and black interior. I could compromise on the interior, and maybe live without the hard top, but it has to be Magnetic Blue. That's the color I fell in love with!

I'm still deciding if this is a goal or just a dream, but I think I would pull the trigger if the right car came along. Randy Chase's daily driver thread definitely made me think twice about an Elise, but didn't completely scare me away! Southwestern PA is probably not the ideal location for an Elise (and probably why most of the used ones for sale seem to be in CA). Many of our roads and parking lots resemble IED test sites, and snow and ice (along with road salt) start around November, with the sun not returning until about May.

My biggest concern is whether I will enjoy driving a car - any car. Let me explain: I've only owned SUVs for the past 20 years. All of my family owns SUVs, and I can't remember the last time I drove a car. I'm concerned about feeling really uncomfortable sitting so close to the road. I don't intend to track the Elise, and it certainly won't be a daily driver, but with no chance to test drive one, I'm hoping that if I find the right car, I'll enjoy driving it as much as I enjoy looking at it.

Thanks for letting me ramble, and I look forward to hanging out here, learning from all of you, and maybe even finding my car here.

Mark

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
You only live one time.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,422 Posts
Do you enjoy driving? I know plenty of non-car guys that really do not enjoy driving and I do not believe they would enjoy the Elise. To some the comfort and safe feeling of a larger vehicle is what they want, room to toss items into the vehicle and have cup holders for all your drinks. My daily is easy to get into, I don’t care about throwing my gym bag on the seat, I don’t care about door dings as it has plenty of imperfections already, and it has heated seats for the cold we currently have here in Denver. My daily is still a car though, I like driving cars more than trucks or SUVs. You have to want to drive the Elige, I don’ take it out of the garage because I have to; I want to take it out of the garage. If you do not truly enjoy driving the car it can become a time commitment. It might be hard to test drive one before you buy, but maybe someone on the forum near you could help out or at least give you a ride. Go to a car dealer and test drive some smaller cars and see if you like the feel. I know it will not be the same, but it will be a step in the right direction from your SUV. Be careful though, you might never want to drive your SUV again.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,603 Posts
You should try to test drive one. Just keep everything you read in mind.

I lurked around here over a year before I test drove one. I was not shocked by the rawness when I did because I expected it. Still is quite a sharp edge for bad roads...

For me the impractical nature of the car is what keeps me coming back and getting it out of the garage. It is not my daily... Simply can't take it more than 3 days in a row. However when the moon and mood is right, I don't know anything that could substitute:shift:

Even sold my R1 once I got it. I have had a motorcycle on board for over 25 years. I don't miss em...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Magnetic Blue is nice, but Nightfall Blue is better. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/lt-specced-elise-three-years-making-121734/

But then again I'm partial.

Buy it, you'll likely not like the ride much and you'll sell it for what you paid for it. Or not. There are plenty of people who have come through the board for whom the Lotus is a first ever sports car, and some end up getting totally hooked, others not so much.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Wish I had a blue one too.... and an orange one... and a black one...chili red, BRG, maybe one of each. Yes, one of each to go with my silver one:) They are addictive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm in the middle of Maryland (Frederick), not so far from Western PA and drive the car all year long. You're more than welcome to come by for a ride.

If you think you might be uncomfortable sitting that close to the road, however, you'll probably be uncomfortable sitting that close to the road. My wife drives the big SUV in our house and she just doesn't 'get' the Elise (loves the look, hates the ride). Me on the other hand, I love it.

Finally, Nightfall Blue is better, but I'm also biased...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Knowing that all you have driven are SUVs, I will definitely recommend you to test drive one or at least ride in it. IMO, you really need to be an enthusiast to really appreciate this vehicle. Yes, there are no words that can describe the looks of this car, but being behind the wheel is another feeling. Getting in and out of the vehicle isn't the easiest but with some practice it gets easier. If you have back problems, this might not be good. Also, you probably know this but the ride isn't the comfiest, but manageable. Interior is very plain and a lot of bare metals you will see. Not a lot of room if you're on the taller side.

Now with that said, I love everything about it. I expected those things because I came from another sports car. It wasn't much the looks of the car that made me want one(which is a plus though), but the performance and handling of the Lotus is what made me want one. The handling with the Lotus is so much better than previous cars I'd have and that was the biggest difference. Having driven other sports cars, I appreciate how well tuned/built this car is compared to others. Since you have no background with cars like this, hopefully you understand that it is not a luxury to have this car, but more like a passion to own one. Or at least that's how I feel about it. Again, just my .02cents. Hope to see you in one soon. :wave:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Mark, first off welcome to the forum. Second, there is a southwestern PA owner that might have a 2005 mag blue with tan interior for sale. Third, this area is awesome for these cars with all of the hills and twisty back roads. As long as you make an educated decision with your purchase I'm sure you will be very happy. These are fun cars but they are no compromise, few creature comforts. Its going to be a lot different than driving an SUV and it might be intimidating at first being the smallest car on the road. A short wheel base light weight mid engine car requires a much different driving style. Our driving season appears to be ended otherwise I would offer you a ride along. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have and I'm sure other other local owners would as well.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for all the replies, encouragement, and even offers for ride-alongs! After just one day, I'm already impressed. I also frequent another message board, vehicross.info, that has a similar feel with other helpful and friendly enthusiasts. I should mention that the last vehicle that I knew I had to have when I first saw it was the Isuzu VehiCross. I bought one without ever driving one, and more than ten years later, I still love it and baby it (with only 23,000 miles!). The VehiCross has practically no rear visibility, a decent blindspot, and tight suspension that rides a little like a stagecoach on rough roads. It was a polarizing love-it-or-hate-it design that most people have never even heard of. It boasted some of the best from-the-factory performance in it's class at the time, and is a blast to drive. Any of this sound familiar?

It's especially cool to hear of some local Lotus owners. I'm in Johnstown, PA and would really be interested to know of a local Magnetic Blue for sale.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
I spent some time in Johnstown about 10 years ago. Is Murphy's Irish Pub still there? Used to go there for wings on Thursday night.

There are a lot of local owners and a large cars and coffee group in the summer that meets near Wexford. Pittsburgh Cars 'N' Coffee - Index page

Wright Lotus of Pgh might have some used ones in stock but last time I was there it was all Evoras

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, Murphy's is still around and still known for their wings.

It's a long ride, but I usually make it to Oxford Athletic Club in Wexford once or twice a summer to play tennis. Thanks for the info about Pittsburgh Cars 'N' Coffee.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mark, welcome! I'm not sure if you've met Ken or not?...he's got two mag blue Elise's with biscuit interiors (and I think he's owned a few more...haha). In any event, they're out there. Like livethedream said, weather has kinda turned for the season or else I'd give you a ride. Let me know if you are still interested come spring

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
+1 on the Nightfall Blue...and I am biased as well. MagBlue is cool too, as is every Lotus color. Enjoy your first ride or purchase...which ever comes first:coolnana:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Just remember you will be REALLY low. When I am in the Elise, I am eye-level with the third brake light on the trunk lid of a Miata. I kinda like it.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Just remember you will be REALLY low. When I am in the Elise, I am eye-level with the third brake light on the trunk lid of a Miata. I kinda like it.
Low? When I'm in the Europa, I am eye-level with the door handles of an Elise!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts