The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok soo waited till the rain stopped and pulled the car out to do an
Oil change, with new K&N filter...
So everything went ease, clean, about a 15min job.
So I rooting around under my car looking at everything touching, checking.
I reach up to us the car as leverage to move my body, I grap the front motor/tranny mount and to my surprise it moves!:eek: So I stop to inspect
and find the two bolts missing from the tranny!-eek- So I check the rubber section and find one of the blots... Only one :( So I had to go to the store the get another, needless to say I fixed it (with locktight)but I wanted to let you all know that this is something you might want to look at next time under the car!.
1st pic is my finger in between the mount and tranny
2nd pic is the bolt
3rd pic is the passenger side of the mount w/out bolts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yikes!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I wonder if that's where my G-rock comes from that's rattling around? As near as I can tell it's one of the little things that Autoglo managed to drop in my dash and just ignore... it's not the only thing. :(

I'll be going through the car pretty soon. Jack stands, all panels (save for clams) off, etc. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if that's where my G-rock comes from that's rattling around? As near as I can tell it's one of the little things that Autoglo managed to drop in my dash and just ignore... it's not the only thing. :(

I'll be going through the car pretty soon. Jack stands, all panels (save for clams) off, etc. Thanks for the heads up!
You'll learn to hate 8mm bolts... I Do:mad:

·
shay2nak
24,994 Posts
holy sh*t! I've been planning to check the bolts after the 460 mile run to san diego and back. I haven't driven the car since that day, so either I'll do it or drive down the dealer.

well actually, the passenger rear side of my hardtop started squeaking on the drive back home from SD and when I got out to inspect it's loose somewhere enough that I can push the top down whereas the driver's side is tight and I can't budge it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice find...

·
Premium Member
11,720 Posts
4 cyl cars, and motorcycles, tend to vibrate and loosen "fittings".

On my elan, I'd put the car up on jackstands every 12-24 months and tighten everything I could reach.

Of course, that was a much simpler car.

I always said my elan weighed 10 lbs more than it should've, as every bolt had either Locktite, anti-seize or both. People on this site recommended nordlock washters, which my m/c friends say work well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
usually happens to people that service their own cars

believe it or not, the dealer "tightens" up bolts and does a thorough inspection of the car at every service point
Maybe....they're also SUPPOSED to check and lube all the hinges, but my door hinges were dry and squeaky right after my recent service.

That tells me that they just checked the box, but did not actually do it :mad:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Maybe....they're also SUPPOSED to check and lube all the hinges, but my door hinges were dry and squeaky right after my recent service.

Perhaps... but once the door hinges start squeaking, they're a pain to get to stop. I've lubed the hinges, left the house, and had them squeak once I reached a destination. They're a #@$!! to get lubed correctly and it took numerous tries to get them to stop squeaking on my car.
:wallbang:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

honestly id take a squeaky door over a loose tranny mount bolt all day anyday
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
usually happens to people that service their own cars

believe it or not, the dealer "tightens" up bolts and does a thorough inspection of the car at every service point
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe some service departments do that. If you believe it can be taken for granted you're loopy my friend.

xtn

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
<rofl> I'll go with the NOT part of believe it or not. After all, I had to virtually stand over the guys at LOA to get them to do even half of what they were trying to bill me for. At least taking it to the local Toyota dealer for oil changes I know they go through it, as much out of fascination as not and I get a whopping $30 bill. Yes, they even go through and check the rear toe link. One of their techs is an Elise Geek. $30-50 for a service with the local's or drive 4 hours+ to a place that will charge $600 to do next to nothing and try to make me appreciate that they wasted their time on my car...Tough choice...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
<rofl> I'll go with the NOT part of believe it or not. After all, I had to virtually stand over the guys at LOA to get them to do even half of what they were trying to bill me for. At least taking it to the local Toyota dealer for oil changes I know they go through it, as much out of fascination as not and I get a whopping $30 bill. Yes, they even go through and check the rear toe link. One of their techs is an Elise Geek. $30-50 for a service with the local's or drive 4 hours+ to a place that will charge $600 to do next to nothing and try to make me appreciate that they wasted their time on my car...Tough choice...
tough break man...that sux, my car and service guys has been OK so far...i guess ill get back to you giys in a few just in case i suffer the same fate

but at least if you take the car to the dealer after that fact you may still get warranty work, since you have service records to prove it

not tryna argue with anyone, just sharing my .02 cents :shift:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe some service departments do that. If you believe it can be taken for granted you're loopy my friend.

xtn
<rofl> I'll go with the NOT part of believe it or not. After all, I had to virtually stand over the guys at LOA to get them to do even half of what they were trying to bill me for. ... drive 4 hours+ to a place that will charge $600 to do next to nothing and try to make me appreciate that they wasted their time on my car...Tough choice...
+1. Maybe some service departments are doing what they are supposed to but not mine anymore.

I haven't been too pleased with the (lack of) service at my dealer and still getting charged for work that wasn't done. They tried to charge me for a rental car once when I was sitting in the service bay with the tech for the entire service. When I pointed the charge out to them the tech said, "Labor's $125/hr, $150 if you watch and $275 if you help :D. Maybe that's where she got it." rotfl I miss that tech -- he actually did a through and through check of the car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts