The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I got the end VIN for my Magnetic Blue/Black/Touring package. (30757). It should be here by mid-November. And to the other person who has magnetic blue that's in the top 15, you're car's being built too.

In other related Scottsdale news:

A) Scottsdale Lotus is selling their demo.
It's a black exterior, tan interior, sport package, and touring package. I don't know if it has a hard top. It has 840 miles on it and they will do the first service before selling it. The asking price is $5,000 over MSPR or market price.

B) Scottsdale is selling two cancelled customer cars. They are:

1. Storm TI. Black interior. Touring package and hard top. It came into port yesterday. Asking price is market price or $8,000 over MSRP.

2. Bordeaux. Black interior. Touring Package. Hard Top. Sports Package. Starshield. This left Hethel on 9/21 and is on route. Asking price is market price or $8,000 over MSRP. (If my car gets in our the same time the BMP does I may want to switch).

Note: My understanding is that Scottsdale will sell either the Storm or their Black demo. Which ever does not sell will become the new demo model. I think there preference is to sell their current black demo. You may want to double check if you are interested.

If anyone's interest, you contact :

Dan Caplan
480-922-6242
Scottsdale Lotus

http://www.lotusofscottsdale.com/lotus.html

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hmmm.

Somehow, it seems to me that most people who 'cancel' would do so prior to spec'ing their cars. I would think that VERY few would order their cars and THEN back out (they lose the deposit). More likely that these were ordered by the dealer with intent to sell over MSRP.

Personally, although I have been thinking of paying a small premium to have the car early, I would not consider these premiums to be realistic at this time. I guess we'll see. Maybe they can get 4K over for the 'new' ones. Doubt it will be more.

If anyone out there needs drop off AFTER ordering (basic car plus/minus sport pack), I will happily take the car to prevent your losing the deposit, and offer a fair premium. I can wait the few months for mine if I need to, but I'd like to replace my DEAD M-COUPE sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
grudkin said:
Hmmm.

Somehow, it seems to me that most people who 'cancel' would do so prior to spec'ing their cars. I would think that VERY few would order their cars and THEN back out (they lose the deposit). More likely that these were ordered by the dealer with intent to sell over MSRP.
not for these first cars, I don't think.

Remember that these cars were probably spec'ed 9 months ago.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Uh oh, Dan is going to sell the demo? Sh*t! I better call him maybe this weekend to schedule something for next weekend. Damn, man I hope I can drive it.

At 840 miles, you can redline it, right?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The $1,000 deposit at Scottsdale Lotus is fully refundable. I know because I came really close to getting my deposit back and dropping off the list several times.

I was originally #16 and got on the list in August 2003, so whoever had those cars would have gotten on list between 1/2003 (#1 on their list) and 8/2003 (when I got on). It's not inconceivable that someone would order a car, change their mind, and get their deposit back. So, I do believe Dan when he says customers dropped off.

Also, I asked if I could switch my Magnetic (Touring only) for the fully loaded BMP, since my car and the BRP car should be coming roughly around the same time -actually the BRP car will be in sooner. Dan said I could and would just pay the difference of the cars. So, I think I may just make the switch from Magnetic to BMP.

Oh, yeah....I forgot to mention.....the BuRP is really going for $25K over MSRP and it's firm! Yes, that's right. ;) [insert humor here] So, I don't think anyone should buy it until I get a chance to talk to Dan tomorrow...just to make sure. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shay2nak said:
At 840 miles, you can redline it, right?
Yes. Scottsdale allowed test drivers to redline after 600 miles.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
BMP??? 25k over that MUST mean Bordeaux Malodorous Princing

·
Registered
56 Posts
Scottsdale Lotus

Hi all,
I have been reading this board for a long time, but never had information to add before. This is my first post, so forgive any errors.

I took delivery of my Elise 9/7/04 from Scottsdale Lotus, AZSTAR posted a picture of it. It goes in for 1,000 mi checkup today. I don't have enough time to tell you how happy I am with the car, it was worth the wait! My experience with Dan and the dealership over the last 16 months has been just as enjoyable. I have read about other dealers who may not have been above board with their customers, but my experience at Scottsdale has been without incident.

As this relates to the Storm Titanium car they are selling, it is a car that has been under deposit for quite a while, as I wrote the check. Things change over time and the car doesn't fit the plan any more. The order was canceled and it is their car. How they sell it is their business decision, but the story on the car is accurate. Having been through the deposit and purchase experience with them, I wanted to share how positive the experience has been.

As a sidelight, a stone has cracked my windshield, I wonder if I will wait another 16 month for new glass?

AZRED

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LotusLust said:
BMP??? 25k over that MUST mean Bordeaux Malodorous Princing
Oh,oh. I check the color guide and realized it's really Bordeaux Red Pearl. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
grudkin said:
I think he was joking to get us excited, Chris
Don't you guys know that ;) = joking? :)

Okay, to set the record straight. Scottsdale is asking $8,000 over MSRP or "market price" for the BRP Elise and the Storm TI Elise.

Because my Magnetic Blue car and the BRP car will come witihin a few weeks of each other, I asked Dan if I could switch to the BRP car. He said that would probably be fine (assuming upper management didn't have any objections.)

In my recent post, I was joking that:

"the BuRP is really going for $25K over MSRP and it's firm! Yes, that's right. [insert humor here] So, I don't think anyone should buy it until I get a chance to talk to Dan tomorrow..." /quote]

My plan was to ask Dan if I really could officially switch my order from Magnetic to the BRP. But now this post has go me so worked up I may just stick with Magnetic. ;) [joking, really.] ;)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
talked to dan in scottsdale today. storm vin is xxxxx359
HT, Touring, Star Shield

MSRP + 8k "we're not going to gouge anybody on price"

well, ok

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LotusLust said:
talked to dan in scottsdale today. storm vin is xxxxx359
HT, Touring, Star Shield

MSRP + 8k "we're not going to gouge anybody on price"
well, ok

Here's something interesting. I think my car (Magnetic Blue) is about to be built and the VIN is 30757. The Storm TI, which is already at port, is Vin 359. Can anyone determine how many cars Lotus is building based on these two VIN numbers? The difference between the two VINs is 398, but I'm just not sure of the time frame. Is it 398 cars built within a three or four week period?

As for the $8K over MSRP, when I spoke to Dan, he did say "or market value." I'm sure Scottsdale would love to find someone who wants an Elise right now that's willing to pay $8K, however, the impression I got when he said "market value" was just that it was flexible based on what Elises are selling for right now.

So, I guess how much over MSRP depends on how convincing a person can be that the market has gone down. But don't forget, they have about 100+ people would probably pay a little over MSRP for one right now. The big questions is how much over MSRP.

PS: I happen to know that a Magnetic Blue with Touring Package will be available in about 4 to 6 weeks. No Starshield yet. It's VIN is 30757.:D

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Don't you guys know that ;) = joking? :)

Okay, to set the record straight. Scottsdale is asking $8,000 over MSRP or "market price" for the BRP Elise and the Storm TI Elise.

Because my Magnetic Blue car and the BRP car will come witihin a few weeks of each other, I asked Dan if I could switch to the BRP car. He said that would probably be fine (assuming upper management didn't have any objections.)

In my recent post, I was joking that:

"the BuRP is really going for $25K over MSRP and it's firm! Yes, that's right. [insert humor here] So, I don't think anyone should buy it until I get a chance to talk to Dan tomorrow..." /quote]

My plan was to ask Dan if I really could officially switch my order from Magnetic to the BRP. But now this post has go me so worked up I may just stick with Magnetic. ;) [joking, really.] ;)
so, they are not selling the demo after all then.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
"we won't sell it for less than 6k over"

he offered me the black for $5k over. sounds like it is for sale to me.

since we are talking offered cars, the laser blue at BMC that perrty passed over in SF is at 7500 over with sport pkg and no touring

1 - 20 of 38 Posts