The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2014 I stripped my newly acquired Exige Cup 240 track car third gear. I had trans rebuilt with JUBU 3rd and Fourth bought from Monkey Wrench. Now, I am replacing broken second/first synchro and I find that 3rd and fourth are very loose on the splines. The gears even wobble. Splines look worn. Is this normal? Do the JUBU gears wear the splines? Were the splines damaged from 2014? I have a second used transmission that I will be harvesting for splined shaft.
Thanks,
Bruce, The Greased Shadow

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Just put freds stuff in and be done. I doubt you can drive the car and harder then I did while I had it and no gear problems at all, and still going strong on the 2nd owner.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I mean you have a $50k toy with a transmission that you have now rebuilt twice. How much is the missed track time and labor worth?

·
Registered
894 Posts
As is It is difficult to say if it is too loose, but typical transmission are not press fit like the Toyota. Racing transmission, motorbike are a little bit loose. My Honda k20 transmission’s gears are slide fit without requiring tool to slide them out.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I'm 99% sure that is a problem and that those splines are meant to be slip fit. I had mine apart a few times and never noticed any play, but the answer is still to call/email fred and discuss as he has rebuilt the most boxes and is generally quite helpful.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I dismounted few transmission in my life, and the Toyota is just too much tight. To be honest, ans since the Toyota was too tight to be dismounted on a yearly base, I was grinding my shaft spline top tooth to be assemble slide fit as usual it is supposed to be, like the Honda. The Toyota is a pain to disassemble.

If you look the rotating gear, they have small loose, Andy the fixed may have the same loose. Over the loose itself, look if the spline are wears out. If it loose without wear, it willingly confirm that it will not become worst. If you notice spline wears, it is something else.

And I am assuming that you are talking about the splined gears side, and not the bearing type one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dismounted few transmission in my life, and the Toyota is just too much tight. To be honest, ans since the Toyota was too tight to be dismounted on a yearly base, I was grinding my shaft spline top tooth to be assemble slide fit as usual it is supposed to be, like the Honda. The Toyota is a pain to disassemble.

If you look the rotating gear, they have small loose, Andy the fixed may have the same loose. Over the loose itself, look if the spline are wears out. If it loose without wear, it willingly confirm that it will not become worst. If you notice spline wears, it is something else.

And I am assuming that you are talking about the splined gears side, and not the bearing type one.
Yes, splined. thanks. I was surprised that the toyota gears require a press fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fred at Blackwatch is my hero. Even though I have not been his customer I sent him an email. He called me back and discussed the JUBU issue at length. He expected that those race gears would fit loosely. Not too surprised that five years track use created spline wear. He suggested if the gear and spacer stack was right there would not be any wobble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a splined shaft from a used transmission replaced the worn one and the JUBU gears now are acceptably loose and only a little wobble. Trans going back in the Exige with an aluminum flywheel and ACT XTSS clutch and pressure plate.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise 111R Sports Racer
56 Posts
Fred is a hero period. That's just his daily routine. We should all support businesses like that as much as possible. Now, if only I had a few spare k' lying around to spend!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Fred is a hero period. That's just his daily routine. We should all support businesses like that as much as possible. Now, if only I had a few spare k' lying around to spend!
He and Alex are both superb. I once ordered two pieces when I only needed one and Alex called to verify what I needed. I have never ordered anything from Blackwatch that wasn't top-notch. They're always there to walk/talk you through anything as well. @fzust

San

1 - 16 of 16 Posts