The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am up to a list of 45 little projects to do on the 98 V8 that was delivered to me last week to get it just the way I like it. That list will grow faster than I can check things off for the next couple of months, but I am getting some things done already. All major service items were addressed before delivery, and all aspects of the mechanics were checked out -- it's a great car, so I can focus on the little things now.

One of the annoying little items was the shaking of the side mirrors and interior rear view mirror even on smooth surfaces that made me feel like I am always re-entering the atmosphere while driving the car.

For the rear view mirror, the problem was the rubber stopper was not contacting the windshield to keep it stable. That was easy. I found some small, firm rubber tubing and cut it to length, and problem solved. Rock stable now.

As for the side mirrors, I found the shaking of the mirror was because the housings were very wobbly. So after some googles, I found this website that shows how to replace the worn parts that cause the wobble:
Door Mirror

I then set off to purchase the replacement brackets, which of course, the Lotus parts guys only sell the whole mirror for a fortune. So I googled a US Citroen parts dealer and they sold the pieces to me for only $50/each, which isn't anywhere near as little as Andy paid, but still much less than a whole mirror.

So I follow Andy's great instructions for the replacement process, and it hit me before I got very far: How could this metal wear out on something that rarely moves, if ever? It must have been something else that was wearing, like a plastic flange that I did not have.

But I continued on, and then it hit me during the disassembly process: The wobble could be solved by just tightening the screw for the bracket on the inside of the mirror housing in the picture. And the mirror can be removed to tighten this screw by only loosening 1 allen bolt - not disassembling the whole thing. Once I figured this out, it took me 2 minutes to tighten the other side.

I'm not feeling real bright after buying those brackets and going through unnecessary work, but maybe this will help someone else.

Now I need to see if I can return these brackets or sell them.

Attachments

Reactions: sjw1971

·
Registered
224 Posts
All I had to do was tighten everything down.
The design as whole isnt great and they do shake a bit but if you locked down the inside brass looking piece and that outside set screw you should be good to go??

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I had to do was tighten everything down.
The design as whole isnt great and they do shake a bit but if you locked down the inside brass looking piece and that outside set screw you should be good to go??
Yea, that's the whole point of my post.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Send him my way...

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just replaced my door mirrors last weekend from the older mirrors to the citroen style wing mirrors, and both used mirrors I bought had this exact same problem. One mirror was from an 89 and had a loose allen bolt in that position that attaches the mirror to the pedestal, and the other mirror was from a 95 and had a torx bolt loose in that position. There was a tab inside the mirror that ratchets the closing of it, but I didnt mess with that tab, it looked like it was attached to white metal and if I attempted to bend it and break it, it would be the white metal that broke im sure, and $500 worth of mirrors wasnt worth the risk. I put removable loctite on those torx and allen bolts in hopes they dont come loose again. I would imagine, the door mirrors attached to a fiberglass door is bound to shake at some level of vibration of the car though really.

My windshield mirror shakes like mad though, I havent fixed that one yet, its probably just loose.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your mirror is not braced against the windshield, it will shake no matter how tight you have it.

It's a long arm that is attached to a flimsy trim piece, so it has to have that bracing.

Mine is rock solid now with a bigger rubber piece bridging the gap to the windshield.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,237 Posts
Loose Lotus Mirror 101

If your mirror is not braced against the windshield, it will shake no matter how tight you have it.

It's a long arm that is attached to a flimsy trim piece, so it has to have that bracing.
USE CAUTION when messing about with the inside rearview. The pot-metal is easily broken.

(As is the pot-metal on the 89-up outside mirror base...do not over tighten the Allen screws when they loosen again in a few months.) :huh:

The two screws on the header panel have Nylock nuts holding them in...ON THE INSIDE.

You can get to the mirror nuts by removing the long, narrow Philips/Posidrive screws under the sun visors. Pull the header panel down just a bit, and use a 10MM open end wrench to hold the mirror-base hardware while you tighten. Be aware, though, that the material on the header panel is glued-in near the sunroof opening. (The plot thickens!) :panic:

Hope this helps somebody.:p

·
Registered
913 Posts
That's is what my mirror issue is, the mirror brace rubber stop is not contacting the windshield, I will have to see if I can adjust it.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just made a longer rubber piece from a sturdy piece of rubber tubing that was about the same outer diameter as the original. Trying to adjust the mirror mount to be closer to the windshield looked like I might break more things than I fixed.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The inside mirror on my 1995 does not vibrate at all, but the bumper is nowhere close to the windshield. At least 1/4" away, maybe 1/2". The bumper is there, just doesn't touch anything. Strange.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I dont know why some would vibrate and some wouldnt, I have had that inside mirror removed when I redid the interior and I tightened it up good upon reinstalling it.

But LOTUSESPRITSE you and I think alike because when I read that I should make sure the mirror is braced against the windshield that is immediately what I thought, put a piece of black rubber tubing over that piece so it contacts the windshield.

My car is an 88 though and im sure they improved construction of the cars even in the years between 88 and 95, an example of this is when I just got my Citroen Esprit wing mirrors, I got one from an 89 and one from a 95, and you can tell the 95 mirror seems just a little better made, that or its the way these fiberglass cars and parts age and that 7 years is a big difference in age of them. Not sure. I know the technology of the paint protecting the parts definitely had to improve in that timeframe.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,237 Posts
The inside mirror on my 1995 does not vibrate at all, but the bumper is nowhere close to the windshield. At least 1/4" away, maybe 1/2". The bumper is there, just doesn't touch anything. Strange.
In the glovebox of the Esprit sold to me so many years ago, there was a pack of different length, inside-mirror-bumpers (looked like rubber caps for engine vacuum lines) with a Lotus part number on them.

Perhaps Lotus KNEW??? :crazyeyes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you upload more pics or a link that shows what you did to fix the wobbly mirror? Andy's vid is no longer available. Didn't you have to remove the inner door panel to access the mirror?
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes - working on the mirror requires the removal of the inner door panel. Contrary to popular belief - all the Citroen mirror components are available fro m tvr-parts.com (formerly clever-trevor).
Here is the link to the Chimaera parts web page along with some pics I took when I replaced my beginning to fail pot metal posts.

https://tvr-parts.com/tvr-parts/by-...gory/bodywork,-styling,-wheels-&-tyres/page/5

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts