The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 v8 after running for awhile and you shut it down, after sitting and still warm, just cranks but won’t starts. Wants to but won’t stay running. Is it fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator? Is fuel pump in the tank and if so is it in the right tank only? what is best way to get at top of tank if in tank, go through firewall behind passenger seat ?
Ken who loves his lotus

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Hard to diagnose without some testing but I can tell you what I did when I had a similar problem. It turned out to be bad primary fuel injectors. When you get near 40,000 miles they are suspect. Other owners have had problems with a burst hose on the fuel assembly inside the right side tank. Easy to figure out if you can put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. You get to the top of the R/H fuel tank by removing the carpeted panel just behind the rear window in the engine bay.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just in case you don't have the technical documentation, here is a link to an Esprit service manual (it's the PDF dated Oct 19, 2008, 1899 pages):

This manual covers the V8 up to MY 2000, there are some differences with the 2003 (such as the evap emissions system) but generally they are similar.

Fuel system description starts on pg 1420, Section EMM.3 starts on pg 1436 with component fault diagnosis and replacement. A lot of the tests require the Tech 1 or other diagnostic tools but lacking that maybe some of the operation theory descriptions could help.

Parts list starting on pg 1837 shows the fuel tanks, pump, etc.

Is it possible the engine is flooding on warm restart? Am assuming you are aware of the procedure for clearing a flooded engine as described in the owners manual on pgs 48-49 and pg 1420 of the service manual.

I did have a similar problem with my 2003 one time when I first bought the car, but it restarted OK after "resting" about 10 minutes or so. I later found the RH cam cover breather hose (part of the evap system) was disconnected from the airbox, and this was causing a CEL and fault code. Plugging the hose back in fixed the CEL/code issue. I don't really know if that hose had anything to do with the starting issue, the car was new to me at the time and likely as not I had probably just flooded it somehow.

Hope this is helpful, good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
IF it fails to start when hit, it is very likely a rich condition, which might point to one or more fuel injectors not closing completely.
More common on carburated cars where heat expands the fuel and drips into the intake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts