The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

This is too cool! Go to the Lotus Ltd. web site at the link below: HE HE HE!!!

http://www.lotuscarclub.org/

OH and there's a nice write up about the Rapier Racing Esprit at Daytona compliments of Andy Barron.

Mark Pfeffer - Treasurer Lotus Ltd.

(PSSST: Think race car driver!!)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Funny thing that. I forgot to mention he was at Crystal Cove last weekend. To quote another casual spectator who was walking by when I was standing about 15 feet away from him:
"Dan Stinkin' Gurney, no f***ing way!"

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Dan Gurney is a longtime Newport Beach resident, and his shop (where the GTP cars, etc. etc. used to be built and now is home to his current project, the Aligator motorcycle) is located in nearby Santa Ana.

Anyway a couple of years ago I was at a restaurant in Newport and in walks Mr. Gurney and his wife, with another couple. I was floored, because at the time I didn't know that he was a local. I said to my wife in a whisper, "that's Dan Gurney!!!". Says the wife, "who's Dan Gurney?"

I thought everyone knew who Dan Gurney was, and so I gave her a quick rundown on his many accomplishments. Who's Dan Gurney ? Basically a living legend, that's all...:p and a nice guy, to boot.

P.S. According to one of the Automotive mags, Gurney once said that if he were president, everyone would be able to run their cars with a straight pipe one day per year.

Dan Gurney for President ! :p

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Not only that, but also from a "post-race podium"...;)

One of many firsts, for him.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: Dan the Man!

CDubYa said:
Don't forget that he's also the first guy ever to spray champagne from a port-race podium! :D
Indeed, that is a great little known bit of trivia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts