The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how long the Elise has been at the suggested retail of 38,000. I do know this has not changed in the last year.
Given the value of the US dollar has dropped I would not be suprised if the cost went up. Value of dollar to Euro October 2002 was 1.5575. In October 2003 it was 1.6792. Doesn't that make the 38,500 really equal $41,508?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great Britain is still using the Pound and the US dollar has remained fairly stable against the pound in recent history. That said, parts and materials purchased from countries using the Euro will be more expensive- but the US vehicle prices won't directly reflect the exchange rate changes.

Also- Proton, owner of Lotus, is a Malaysian company. The Malaysian Ringgit is pegged to the US Dollar, so corporate profits are safe from our falling dollar. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Though Proton owns Lotus, I don't think it's that close a financial connection. Maybe... but I would think that profitability will come down to the connection between Lotus USA and Lotus UK.

P.S. I purchased a few hundred Rendezvous DVDs for resale out of the UK a couple weeks ago and the rate was over 1.7 to 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
By "recent history", I meant only January 2003 - September 2003. :)

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
From what I understand, Lotus does not want to charge much more than their original MSRP estimate of $38, for fear of losing customers. This may cause them to sell the car at a slight loss for a bit.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The exchange was up to 1.77 for a short time. I think this may lead to additional "options" which at one time were "standard".

I think they have to keep the price under $40K.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Randy Chase said:

P.S. I purchased a few hundred Rendezvous DVDs for resale out of the UK a couple weeks ago and the rate was over 1.7 to 1.
OT: Thanks for bringing over the Rendezvous DVD - my wife had been looking for a copy of that for her father for years. Makes for an easy X-mas gift. You should be getting her order shortly.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread . . .

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Cool. Have them use this coupon for a reduced price. Elisetalk special. :)

elisetalk <-- special secret coupon code

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Funny thing about software, it's so pesky about details! Try it now.

In fact, everyone, try it now. :p

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
Thx for the discount!!!

This movie is an absolute classic. I love it. Can't wait to get it.
:)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy-

Can we wait and buy the dvd from you at the LA Auto Show? Obviously not for a Xmas present, though.

Since Paris is the greatest city in the world (at least for me!), I need to buy one.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Cool. Have them use this coupon for a reduced price. Elisetalk special. :)

elisetalk <-- special secret coupon code
Muchas gracias!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
jml1952 said:
Randy-

Can we wait and buy the dvd from you at the LA Auto Show? Obviously not for a Xmas present, though.

Since Paris is the greatest city in the world (at least for me!), I need to buy one.
I will bring around 200 DVDs to the LA Auto Show.

And remember... January 2nd is indeed my birthday. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts