The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear esteemed Lotus lovers...Like many of you, I've got it bad. I can't get Lotus out of my system. (not that I want to) I owned for many years a killer Europa Special, then a series 2 Elite and then an Elise. I sold the Elise when I became "attached" out of consideration for my mate who loved the car but found it challenging. I now have a S54 BMW M Coupe and it's wonderful and quirky, just like I like my cars. Still, I'm hankering for another Lotus and have been thinking of a used Evora. Fairly reliable, good gas mileage, not too challenging to passengers and pretty much daily driveable. But I'm wondering if an Esprit might be just as good for me. I know there are many variations to consider and I've been keeping myself informed on them somewhat. Just wondering if any here have any opinions on this. Many thanks in advance! David in San Diego

·
Registered
576 Posts
Dear esteemed Lotus lovers...Like many of you, I've got it bad. I can't get Lotus out of my system. (not that I want to) I owned for many years a killer Europa Special, then a series 2 Elite and then an Elise. I sold the Elise when I became "attached" out of consideration for my mate who loved the car but found it challenging. I now have a S54 BMW M Coupe and it's wonderful and quirky, just like I like my cars. Still, I'm hankering for another Lotus and have been thinking of a used Evora. Fairly reliable, good gas mileage, not too challenging to passengers and pretty much daily driveable. But I'm wondering if an Esprit might be just as good for me. I know there are many variations to consider and I've been keeping myself informed on them somewhat. Just wondering if any here have any opinions on this. Many thanks in advance! David in San Diego
I love the Esprit, and especially mine. My wife doesn't like driving it or getting in and out of it....... That can be a good and a bad thing. I notice that female owners are extremely rare.
I wouldn't call it a couples car.

Randy

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,097 Posts
When my wife was working an office job, she loved to take the Esprit to work on occasion. She was never afraid to drive it.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I only know one woman owner and that was Kylie Smith Sport 350 in NZ. She drives occasionally on the track so I would say she is a better driver than many. Her banter and demeanor is that of car person. Evora with IPS is something your other half could drive. The Europa elite and Elise are rather spartan cars compared to Esprit/Evora which I think have more road comfort and quieter when they have the windows up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
To me, ownership of my Esprit V8 is a passion and a hobby. When I saw the title of this thread, the analogy that first came to my mind is "Wondering if I should consider getting married." If that's the question, then the answer is a most definitely NO.

However, if the situation is more along the lines of "I have met the love of my life and soul-mate in a Lotus Esprit, should I get hitched", then the answer would be to go for it.

If it's a half-hearted thing, then I would not recommended it. Your enthusiasm will too easily fade with the challenges of this relationship. If your heart is in it, then the relationship can be quite rewarding.

Sound like I'm talking about a spouse and not a car? It's almost like that...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wondering why you wouldn't :) if you are looking in the Evora price range (used) then you are in late V8 territory and these are way ahead in terms of the fun factor. If you are mechanically inclined and enjoy working on your cars then an S4s would be a great buy. You obviously love the marque and the esprit is a different animal to the Elise, I've owned both and would not go back to the Elise (but I wouldn't mind an Exige s) try one, you'll love it :)
Colin

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,097 Posts
I only know one woman owner <SNIP>
Many women are Lotus enthusiasts. Here's one in NJ:

http://tinyurl.com/l8ges8l

She is not the only one by a long shot. Another owner here in NJ is a track addict, I've ridden with her at Barber Motorsports, and boy she is FAST.

+++++++++++

Anybody remember the concerns before the launch of the Elise, that the car would sell out to the "hair and nails" owner?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Oddly enough, my wife likes the Esprit much better than the Porsche 928 I had prior. She says the Esprit rides much better..

Odd I know since IMHO the 928 had much more comfortable seats which were also eleventy billion ways adjustable, sat higher, wider and rode much softer

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The Esprit is simply a car that you have to WANT to have. Or shall we say GOT to have! Ive wanted one since I was a boy and finally getting one(and a damned good one at that) really made it all worth it. There aint nuttin like them and those that dont get it just dont get it.

You dont need an Esprit, you WANT an Esprit. If you do....satisfy the hunger or you'll regret it. The only case I would say not to buy one is if you arent really sure what you want and just *happen* to decide they look cool or something.

Passionate desire = BUY one
Casual desire = Stay Away

;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, This all helps in the final decision.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts

I LOVE my Evora!! I like having relatively newer technology and looks, not that the Esprit doesn't have the looks. The fact that the Evora is under warranty is a huge plus!!! I'm thinking when the timing is right, I'll grab an Esprit for the occasional drive!

Until then, I'll "deal" with my Evora!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Thanks all, This all helps in the final decision.
Once you think you have settled on which model Lotus, you NEED to have someone who is very knowledgeable on that model look over whatever one you are contemplating buying. They can help you decide if that particular one is what you are looking for and what, if anything, it may need. I happen to know a very nice red/tan '99 V-8 in New Jersey for sale.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
938 Posts
Oddly enough, my wife likes the Esprit much better than the Porsche 928 I had prior. She says the Esprit rides much better..

Odd I know since IMHO the 928 had much more comfortable seats which were also eleventy billion ways adjustable, sat higher, wider and rode much softer
Really!?
My x wife hated the car and only drove it once..........Thank God.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The Esprit is an incredibly rewarding car to own and drive. I have never looked back. My mom has driven mine a # of times, and likes it a ton as well...although admittedly, it scares her, as she has never driven a car with that kind of performance...also she has never owned a turbocharged car, and the way the Esprit hits with it's power can be...exciting...

·
Registered
913 Posts
My wife is not fond of mine, she hates getting in and out of it, she will never drive it as it was too quirky before I fixed the gearbox, and now she thinks if she drives it something will break and it will be her fault LOL.

The only thing she does like about it is it gets good gas mileage compared to other toy cars I've owned. And its not a motorcycle that she has to worry about me riding (I owned quite a few exotic bikes also)

It gets a lot of attention when she has been out with me in it, however I don't think she likes having her photo taken and that happens once in while in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts