The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the kit, got the ECU back from Sector 111 & the car won't start. The ECU is making a lot of noise, like a hard drive trying to load, and the engine is very labored & won't turn over. Almost like it's not getting a spark or something. Any thoughts on what I can check before I ship the ECU back for a 3rd time? Yes, they reflashed it after I had this problem last week to no avail...:mad:
Here's a link to the video of the noise:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21899481/IMG_1358.MOV

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
The noise in the video is normal. It's just the DBW throttle body doing its thing. It has always done that, you may just not have noticed before... Unplug the throttle body and you'll find that the humming will stop. Of course it needs to be plugged back in to start.

If the car seems to start and immediately dies, then they just messed up the checksum... if this is the same problem as before, then the checksum was just messed up, again;)

Other things that will prevent starting, or make it hard/seeming impossible to start is the MAF sensor not connected, the crank position, and cam position sensors... Those are the three key items. Additionally, check each every fuse in the two black fuse boxes in the engine bay. Inspect carefully as blown fuses can be hard to identify.

Hope that helps a bit,

Phil

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
And check the coolant temp sensor, me and Phil know about that one keeping it from starting :)

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
+1 on at least the sound portion of it - my car makes the exact same sounds and I too didn't notice them until I had a problem (a long while back). I seriously doubt it would be the inertia kill switch but that's burned me twice so I'd press and reset it. Maybe post a video of what it sounds like while you're trying to start it?

I'd also keep your battery on a maintainer if you haven't already as all that cranking is going to kill it quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the fuses, all good. Reset the inertia switch (I think I did, at least). Checked to make sure all sensors you mentioned are at least plugged in except for the coolant temp sensor - where's that located?

Here's a video of trying to start her up...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21899481/IMG_1360.MOV

Thanks for the help, by the way. I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
The coolant temp sensor is on the left side of the block if you are looking at it from the rear. It is white, 2 wire sensor and right under the head in the center of the left side of the block.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Mine was actually not fully seated so it wasn't bad, but to check if it is bad just throw a meter on it. My symptoms when it was not connected was it sounded like the car wanted to start but wouldn't fire. According to Phil the ECU if is can't see that sensor will full open injectors and flood the motor. The injectors are so wet they won't spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE - turned out that the wire leading to the crank sensor had a kink in it & needed to be replaced. Car runs great now - thanks to everyone here for the responses! The guys at Sector 111 were great, too - they communicated with me nearly every day & were very helpful. Highly recommended!

Holy crap is a supercharger on an Elise a lot of fun!

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
UPDATE - turned out that the wire leading to the crank sensor had a kink in it & needed to be replaced. Car runs great now - thanks to everyone here for the responses! The guys at Sector 111 were great, too - they communicated with me nearly every day & were very helpful. Highly recommended!

Holy crap is a supercharger on an Elise a lot of fun!
Great news! I've never been in an Elise that wasn't supercharged. I know how much fun they are!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts