The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like this winter everyone is working on meshing out their elises, so I figured I'd give it a shot. My preconditions were that the clams couldnt be removed, everything had to be reversible, no new holes could be drilled, and no tape could be used. I am using the XXL hex mesh from customcargrills. So far I have came finished the front and am almost done with the side vents. I'll update my progress as I go on, just thought some may want to see the what I did in case they want to try it...

The front bolts on to the bottom holes, and has welded on tabs that pop into the stock grill brackets. The tow cutout is made from aluminum (I tried to make it as stock exigelike as possible)...

Here are the side scoops I'm working on. It is a total pain to fill in the top hole that the slats leave. I fiber glassed it shut and then smoothed it with filler. The XXL mesh is really hard to bend around the tight curves of the scoops, I almost gave up and used smaller mesh, but I really wanted to have the same mesh throughout the car so I finally got it on using hours of bending and epoxy resin. They are not done yet, hopefully tomorrow they will be on the car. Stay tuned for the radiator, oil cooler and engine cover grills...

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Very cool. Can't wait to see them on the car. I think I'm really going to like the sides. Are you also doing the rad. and engine vents?
Edit: I'll learn to read one day. lol. I see my answer in your post.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Keep up the good work! I was hoping to be lazy and just pay someone for a complete set (that wasn't overpriced), but i may just have to bite the bullet and DIY it. Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Keep up the good work man! it's looking great so far!

This just reminded me that u asked me for more pics of the side grills I did in the other thread and I totally forgot! Sorry, it's probably 2 late but I'll still take some tomorrow.

·
Registered
532 Posts
:coolnana:Looks great!!!!!:coolnana:

·
Registered
965 Posts
:coolnana: Great car Madden, when I get an Elise in a few years (maybe 3-4 lol) You should do mine XD Make a kit and sell it, a no-clam change/no-drilling Elise Mesh Kit for all Fin-sections is a Winner, I'd buy it =D

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Wow great job! I am still trying to work up the courage to try this my self.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finally got the right side vent on the car and I am in love with the look. It was a pain to get it perfectly smoothed and fitted but I got it on. Cant wait to get the LH vent on now.
I went with satin black and it fits perfect, check out the difference compared to stock...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
That looks awesome! Nice Job!!!!
CHeers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nice work, man. The side vents look amazing...

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made like 5 templates out of posterboard first to get it fitting perfect, then cut out the shape of the opening from a 1" thick piece of wood. I extended the mesh about 1" off the dies when I cut it out, then hammered it around the wood cutout to get the right angle bends as close as possible. Test fit it to the car, did some more pounding to adjust it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts