The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I've posted semi-helpful stuff before (kitty litter, driving tips, etc.). Here are two recipes I love.

Note: I am a disinterested, lazy cook. The local ER has a "cease & desist" order on my kitchen. SO, if I can do these, anyone can.

Spanish French Toast (Torrijas)

Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
Olive oil
2 Cups milk
Pinch of salt
½ Cup sugar
2 Eggs
2 Large, very thick slices eggy bread, like brioche or challah, preferably stale, cut in half, or 4 smaller slices
Cinnamon sugar
Warmed maple syrup or honey, optional

1. Pour olive oil to a depth of ½ inch in a broad, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Bring it to temperature of about 350°. When ready, a small cube of bread dropped into the oil will sink to the bottom, then immediately rise to the top.

2. Meanwhile, whisk* together the milk, salt and sugar in a broad bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs (but, refrain from yelling at them). When oil is ready, soak a piece of bread in milk, then dip in egg. Shake off excess liquid, then transfer to oil. Stand back, as it will splatter. Repeat (but not rinse) with remaining bread.

3. Cook about a minute on each side, turning carefully; bread should be very crisp on edges. When done, transfer to a plate, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately, with honey or maple syrup if you like.

* As I learned, they apparently don’t mean a “whisk broom” here. Very messy.

Yield: Two servings.

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee

Without the bitterness produced by hot water, cold-brewed coffee has hints of chocolate, even caramel. It is naturally sweet; hardly any sugar is needed.

1. In a jar, stir together 1/3 cup coffee (medium-coarse grind is best) and 1-1/2 cups of water.

2. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight or 12 hours.

3. Strain twice thru a coffee filter, fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth.

4. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.

Yield: 2 drinks.
Note: To make hot coffee, dilute concentrate one-to-one with water and heat in microwave.

If you try these, please let us know how you liked them. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cooking?! I think you need to get your license back ;)

The only caramel-y smell I like is my clutch burning.

Tom
rotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I'm going to have to try that cold coffee deal, looks great.

The french toast... I don't know... olive oil to cook french toast :huh:... give me good old fashioned butter.:drool:

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have to try that cold coffee deal, looks great.

The french toast... I don't know... olive oil to cook french toast :huh:... give me good old fashioned butter.:drool:
S -

Well, yes, we've all had FT with butter. But, BUT, the olive oil works great. Try it once. Isn't olive oil maybe healthier than butter? :shrug:

I rarely use butter; Smart Balance Organic is my normal substitute. Now, when I go dine out, bread and (real) butter tastes like dessert.

Keep us posted how you like these. thanks.

=gb=

PS: Mobil 1 does NOT work.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Spanish French Toast (Torrijas)

Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
Olive oil
2 Cups milk
Pinch of salt
½ Cup sugar
2 Eggs
2 Large, very thick slices eggy bread, like brioche or challah, preferably stale, cut in half, or 4 smaller slices
Cinnamon sugar
Warmed maple syrup or honey, optional

1. Pour olive oil to a depth of ½ inch in a broad, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Bring it to temperature of about 350°. When ready, a small cube of bread dropped into the oil will sink to the bottom, then immediately rise to the top.

2. Meanwhile, whisk* together the milk, salt and sugar in a broad bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs (but, refrain from yelling at them). When oil is ready, soak a piece of bread in milk, then dip in egg. Shake off excess liquid, then transfer to oil. Stand back, as it will splatter. Repeat (but not rinse) with remaining bread.

3. Cook about a minute on each side, turning carefully; bread should be very crisp on edges. When done, transfer to a plate, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately, with honey or maple syrup if you like.

* As I learned, they apparently don’t mean a “whisk broom” here. Very messy.

Yield: Two servings.
g

Just reading the list of ingredients spiked my blood glucose level so high that I almost went into diabetic shock!:eek:

I'll take your word for it that the Spanish French Toast is good.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Everyone knows French toast are best prepared and served by their natives. The more the better (maids that is, not toasts). After that, who cares what Irish coffee taste like...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
In the absence of the assistants ^^^ , I started up the coffee recipe. I'll have an opinion in the morning.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Looking for a simple holiday recipe to feed a great breakfast to that army of relatives you may have coming to your home? Check out the following for French Toast Casserole. It takes a little pre-prep time the night before but it is well worth it…

• 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.
Praline Topping:
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

This recipe comes from Paula Deen of the Food Network. My wife has made this in the past and it is a real winner.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm enjoying the coffee now.
Mmmm, that is a tasty beverage!
afa82f4fc6b69993f9a65d6a804a71e0.jpg
As advertised by glb. I remembered that the parents of a friend do something similar - they have a machine that drips cold water through a couple pounds of coffee and produces bottles of highly concentrated coffee syrup. They keep the syrup in the fridge and a spoonful goes in a cup of hot water in the morning. It's convenient, but the machine is about the size of a Buick.

This is good, too.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
S -

Well, yes, we've all had FT with butter. But, BUT, the olive oil works great. Try it once. Isn't olive oil maybe healthier than butter? :shrug:

I rarely use butter; Smart Balance Organic is my normal substitute. Now, when I go dine out, bread and (real) butter tastes like dessert.

Keep us posted how you like these. thanks.

=gb=

PS: Mobil 1 does NOT work.
Alright, I'll try it.

But it won't be as good as butter.:p

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CALtd -

Thank you. I will print this and try it. Great.

=gb=

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm enjoying the coffee now.
Mmmm, that is a tasty beverage!

As advertised by glb. I remembered that the parents of a friend do something similar - they have a machine that drips cold water through a couple pounds of coffee and produces bottles of highly concentrated coffee syrup. They keep the syrup in the fridge and a spoonful goes in a cup of hot water in the morning. It's convenient, but the machine is about the size of a Buick.

This is good, too.
Luxige -

Glad you like it. Yes, the article I used mentioned the "machine" but the author realized this was so easy.

-g

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking for a simple holiday recipe to feed a great breakfast to that army of relatives you may have coming to your home? Check out the following for French Toast Casserole. It takes a little pre-prep time the night before but it is well worth it…

• 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.
Praline Topping:
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

This recipe comes from Paula Deen of the Food Network. My wife has made this in the past and it is a real winner.
caltd -

I promised to try it. I did last night and both rebekka and I LOVED it. I can see your point about making it quickly (assuming the prior day work was done) for a large group of ppl.

Rebekka had two servings, and then topped a 3rd with pumpkin ice cream.

Wonderful ft. Thank you v much.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
now i'm hungry and wanting some french maids.......ehh i mean toast:rolleyes:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
And be sure to have some Allen Brothers bacon with that French Toast.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts