The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World's First Tesla Roadster Crash... That's Been Caught On Camera!
Well, we knew an accident involving a Tesla Roadster was bound to happen sometime, and now the first crash has taken place in San Francisco on Friday at the corner of Geary and Gough streets at about 6 p.m. PDT. While we'd heard something about a scuff with one of the first "production" units earlier this past month — something about Tesla founding father Martin Eberhard's little two-seater rear-ending the back end of a truck — this certainly does not appear to be the same incident.

Instead this here Tesla appears to have taken so great of a liking to the back end of a Mercedes, it's up and gone right up the German car's rear end. The folks over at Hey apparently have the full story — or as much as they know — as well as a second picture of the incident apparently taken by someone named Alex Volkov. We wish we had more to tell you — if only Tesla PR would return our phone calls — ever. (Hat tip to Andy!)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
He should have just donated 100k to me. I would have given him a hotlap or two and he would have great memories without all this bad press lol

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Reminds me of the picture from our friends over at SELOC of the elise wedged under another car after rear ending it.

The value of the tesla is 90kish, so they won't total as easy as elises. I wonder if the frame/tub is damaged, how often they will actually do replacements now since the car value is higher

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
At least he will not have to replace the edit oil coolers

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
and a condenser unit for the A/C.
AFAIK the battery pack requires both active heating and cooling (depending on ambient conditions) to maintain optimum battery temp.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
That will buff right out.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Actually, this car is currently at Chilton Autobody... it's in it's own little area but i walked past it while walking back to check out a poor honda civic that was stolen from us... anyway, it's not martin's car nor repainted to look like his car... though chilton did fix his car too. They did a good job replacing my elise's front clam, and Allstate approved which is a nice bonus for me. no affiliation... just my best experience to date with a body shop.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok i may be the only one..but please give me a good reason not to think the Tesla is a POS. It’s a car that uses most of the Elise’s parts and it doesn’t even look as good. The thing is that I’m a petrol head...i love cars, i love engines..i love the sound of an engine, i like driving my sports car on mountain roads and actually shift gears myself. What of the above dose the Tesla do? If i wanted a car to safe fuel, not burn oil and be friendly to the environment i would be driving a Prius not a sports car. 50% of the sports car experience is delivered by its engine, the Tesla doesn’t have one for god’s sake. I know you guys love cars..that’s why you have a Lotus so someone please tell me, what’s the point of the Tesla? And really who cares if its faster than our cars or other super cars? Supercharge Elise sound? Priceless….Tesla Sound? Emmmm what sound? So…sum up….TESLA…Doesn’t look that good, Doesn’t have a sound, doesn’t have an engine, Corners as good as an Elise and cost almost twice as much..hmmmm

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Torque

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm waiting for the Testige! I hear they're gonna use a 440 volt supercharger :D that takes the motor to 900 volt AC induction with 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Range on the batteries drops to about 11 miles, but what an 11 miles! The new tagline for the Testige is "Silent But Deadly!"

I think the waiting list is about 8 years, so reserve yours today! Price to be announced, but rumors are around $300K.

Ben

·
Banned
874 Posts
For me, i prefer a LOT of noise, or NO NOISE AT ALL. I would love to drive a Tesla and I can imagine how cool it would be to accelerate quickly with no noise. To me, it would be AMAZING.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts