The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a terrible buzzing vibrating rattle at exactly 2000 RPM for over 2 years on my Elise. It has been getting worse and worse to the point that the car sounds like it's going to break apart. Finally, I took the car to Harry at A1 today. In 10 minutes the problem was fixed 100%! After trying to isolate where the noise was coming from, Harry removed the drivers seat and inserted some foam material between the seat and the floor. The noise instantly was eliminated. Amazing....driving home without having the issue was a pleasure. :clap:

·
Registered
903 Posts
nice - i wonder if it was the bar that you pull to slide the seat or if it was just coincidentally fixed by adding foam and the real issue was that the seat wasn't bolted down properly but him removing it and putting it back in was the fix

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Nice to hear that the problem is gone.

I've had a "rolling object" sound that seems to appear for a few months and then disappear for a few months. I can relate to your story.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The worst rattle in my car is the stupid exhaust heat shield. Every time I pop rivet or put a bigger washer on it, it is good for a day and loosens up again. Ugh that one kills me. RIGHT at 3000 rpm too, which is where the car sits all the time.

Anyway, I'm glad you fixed yours! Now you can continue your game of whack-a-mole Lotus style, hunting rattle after rattle :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've had a "rolling object" sound that seems to appear for a few months and then disappear for a few months.
I have the same noise, except mine doesn't go away... its as if there is a marble stuck in the aluminum sill/frame) for something (but I only hear it during accel's & decel's)

so uhhhh, welcome to the club :clap:

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
The Elise/Exige floor is constructed almost exactly like an over-sized soundboard of a steel guitar. The slightest vibrations are amplified and often difficult to track down.

I installed Composite Worx CF seats and discovered that the seat bottoms hover about a millimeter above the floor itself. When the floorboards match the frequency of my stage-2 exhaust just right there is enough flex in the floor to touch the seat bottoms and cause a horrendous buzz. For the moment I've "solved" the problem by sliding some thin foam between the two surfaces until I space the gap with some extra washers.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Irritating interior noises down significantly since I got $20 worth of black Dynamat sheets. They're self-adhesive and can be cut with scissors.

I have a 6 pt harness along with stock belts so have a bunch of buckles bouncing along. I put a piece of Dynamat on the back of each seat, a piece under the seat bottoms, and on the bottom of my rubber mats, the sport mats from S111. Total weight probably 3 lbs, or less than the touring carpeting I pulled off the sills and floor. There is less of that amplified jingling resonance with these changes.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Irritating interior noises down significantly since I got $20 worth of black Dynamat sheets. They're self-adhesive and can be cut with scissors.

I have a 6 pt harness along with stock belts so have a bunch of buckles bouncing along. I put a piece of Dynamat on the back of each seat, a piece under the seat bottoms, and on the bottom of my rubber mats, the sport mats from S111. Total weight probably 3 lbs, or less than the touring carpeting I pulled off the sills and floor. There is less of that amplified jingling resonance with these changes.
Did you use the Superlite or which? Thx.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
The rolling marble sound front to back is a seat bearing. Pack some grease in your seat rails and you'll be good to go!

I've also had an annoying rattle that sounded like a cable rattling under the floor pan. It turned out to be the shear panel was a fraction off the torque spec and caused all the noise. I tightened all the bolts on the shear panel and the noise was gone.

I hope this helps some of you!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Did you use the Superlite or which? Thx.
I don't really remember as they switch trade names a lot and often the stuff is sold in odd lots on Amazon. The stuff I used looks like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-Damplifier-Square-Feet/dp/B00FDX6A6C/ref=sr_1_84?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1400510253&sr=1-84&keywords=dynamat[/ame]
but a little thicker- this is 1mm.

I used the one that was approx. 1/4 inch thick and self adhesive. Definitely not 1/2 inch, that's way too thick. I managed to buy about $20 or maybe $30 worth, about five sheets that were 12x18 or so.

Sorry I can't be more definite, it was about 6 months ago and I didn't save the packaging.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The worst rattle in my car is the stupid exhaust heat shield.
Me too, I tried everything to find the point that needed bushings but can not stop it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The worst rattle in my car is the stupid exhaust heat shield. Every time I pop rivet or put a bigger washer on it, it is good for a day and loosens up again. Ugh that one kills me. RIGHT at 3000 rpm too, which is where the car sits all the time.

Anyway, I'm glad you fixed yours! Now you can continue your game of whack-a-mole Lotus style, hunting rattle after rattle :)
How about a spring loaded clamp?

http://www.protex.com/toggle-latches

Metal velcro might help.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
Why not ditch the u-bend heat-shielding and heat wrap it up to the cat. I did that and then used a black silicone based product (meant for heat wrap) to coat the wrap and protect it from the elements. No issues since with heat-shield rattle. I also removed the other heat shield and opened the rear around the same time though.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Why not ditch the u-bend heat-shielding and heat wrap it up to the cat. I did that and then used a black silicone based product (meant for heat wrap) to coat the wrap and protect it from the elements. No issues since with heat-shield rattle. I also removed the other heat shield and opened the rear around the same time though.
+1 to that. There's nothing special about the heat shield and a good wrap works just fine.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I did the wrap as well when I swapped exhausts - be sure to wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt when you do it. Exhaust heat wrap is fiberglass and you will itch like a motherf the rest of the day and probably the next two days while it works it's way back out of your skin.

·
Registered
988 Posts
So I went to my buddy that has a lift and talked about the wrap. He gave me a few tips about rattles. One was for things like license plates. He said for that I use double sided sticky tape. I tried to put some rubber washers on my plate a few weeks back thinking that would fix it. It never seemed to change much thought. So for fun I put some tap on the back of the plate and all of my rattle is gone now. I had at least 3 resonating sounds from back there I though for sure was the heat shield. It's all cleared up now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I actually already put a de-cat pipe in my car and it is all header wrapped. I have a full rear panel so I thought there might be some heat soaking issues. If not, then I might just pull that stupid thing out. It is SO annoying.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you pull out the heat shield entirely you run the risk of melting your engine mount, especially if you use one of the inserts. There is a thread on that IIRC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts