The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm taking delivery of my Elise on this Friday but have several concerns. I live just north of Baltimore, Md and am over 50 miles from the nearest Lotus dealer. What happens if you take it to a Toyota dealer, can they service it? I know this is probably dumb, but I have to find someone to at least change the oil.
My other question is that I noticed that there is no spare tire. doh... Does the sealent can really work?; I mean doesn't that pretty much mean you are going to destroy the tire. Is it worth buying special tires like the old corvettes ran on that you could even drive on them when they are flat because corvettes didn't carry a spare either?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey I'm taking delivery of my Elise on this Friday but have several concerns. I live just north of Baltimore, Md and am over 50 miles from the nearest Lotus dealer. What happens if you take it to a Toyota dealer, can they service it? I know this is probably dumb, but I have to find someone to at least change the oil.
My other question is that I noticed that there is no spare tire. doh... Does the sealent can really work?; I mean doesn't that pretty much mean you are going to destroy the tire. Is it worth buying special tires like the old corvettes ran on that you could even drive on them when they are flat because corvettes didn't carry a spare either?
If it's any consolation, im 500 miles from a dealer and dont know anyone who can work on mine yet. Learning basic wrenching and oil changing would be good for you.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Though I live in Alexandria, I'd be happy to show you how to change the oil yourself. It is very straightforward.

The nearest Lotus dealer is Criswell. I have to admit, they seem pretty cool. I met the service folks and they are very flexible in terms of checking out the car but letting you do some work yourself. Nevertheless, if your car is brand new, I would plan on visiting them once a year just to make sure everything is ok.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
50 mi is NOT a lot

btw i live 15 minutes away from Criswell, def worth it for you to make the drive down once in awhile.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What are you buying?? -poke-

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
50 miles is not a far enough distance to be crying about. I know people who drive that distance or further to work every day. Man up!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
the Toyota dealer around the corner would not touch my car... ended up working with HRM(99 miles away) and Princeton(95 miles away)...

ended up doing most of the work myself, with the help of many friends whom i met through this site.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I don't think any Toyota dealer would (or should) touch it.

As for the spare, I've had the car over 4 years now and never a flat. What you need to do is check the tires before you leave the house every time. At least visually, but invest in a good tire guage that you'll enjoy using, I use one with a short hose, nice valve attachment and dial, that I got from Griot's Garage, it's excellent (it's designed to be used with an air compressor hose, but works great without it). It's good practice with any car, but especially with this car. And, bring your cellphone, just in case :)

In short: don't worry, but be prepared ! And mainly, have fun with it !! :shift:

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Toyota dealer fix a Lotus? No.

Tire sealant works fine. Get two bigger cans at an auto parts store, wrap them in foam and put them in the trunk.

If you need it, use it and them go get your tire fixed. It won't hurt the tire or the wheel. I've done this a few times.

Don't worry about it. Keep the tires that come with the car - no "run flats."

We're not alone with this.

New Aston Martin's don't have a spare either.

GO SLOWLY AND SIDEWAYS IN AND OUT OF DRIVEWAYS.

Enjoy your new Lotus! :D

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
GO SLOWLY AND SIDEWAYS IN AND OUT OF DRIVEWAYS.
OP, i know what your thinking, and the answer is yes. You absolutely have to get sideways when your going in and out of driveways.

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
OP, i know what your thinking, and the answer is yes. You absolutely have to get sideways when your going in and out of driveways.

:D
Dear God yes... the first time you hear that sickening scraping/ripping sound even when slowing angling in and you'll know what we mean.

:sad:

I've actually had to back down and out of parking lots onto the street simply because there was no possible angle to take it moving forward. Raised parking lots are the bane of the Lotus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well he is in Baltimore and Criswell Being in Gburg, can be a LONG trip.

The DC metro area is not like most areas, 50 miles can equal a 2hr trip each way with the crazy traffic DC area see's. You can take the back way to skip out on the 270 nightmare by going 108. When I used to live in Derwood, it has saved me many times.

Criswell is a top notch dealer. Purchased and had my H2 serviced there. The service team will take care of the car as if it was an enzo pulling in. I would drool on the Black Esprit 25th anniv they had in the showroom when the Hummer was getting its light bar installed shortly after purchase. (I should have given in and bought it)

How often do you plan on driving the car (requiring the oil to be changed)? If its only needed every few month then a trip over should not be bad if you can do it on a weekend or mid day. If you are going to track it then you might want to look into a performance shop near you that has experiance with them if you don't feel comfortable wrenching on the car.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Well Criswell is a top notch dealer. The service team will take care of the car as if it was an enzo pulling in.
rotfl:panic::crazyeyes-eek-:no::panic:rotfl

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm not that old, and I remember a time when real men changed their own oil, and did basic maintenance themselves.
...yes, i remember back when real men didn't have to spend a couple of hours removing undertrays nor buying sissy dipstick tube siphons, either...

·
Registered
27 Posts
local shops

Try Cignatta's in Bel Air. They serviced my Ferrari and Porsche and I've seen an Espirit Turbo there as well. If not, try SSI Performance on Joppa Road in Towson. They've done work for me also. Lastly, Treasured Motor Cars in Owings Mills. I'd bet any of these places can handle all of your routine needs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Like others said, it really is easy to change your own oil. I'm in the area too (right now), and like Mike would be happy to try and give a hand. :clap: rotfl

Congrats on your new Lotus, and hope to see you around the area!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.