The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice during my Exige S 240 break-in, the fuel injection seemed to cut out (like the limiter was being engaged even though the engine was completely warmed up). Now that I have been through the 1K service and have been driving it with full power utilization it is happening much more often. It seems to be happening more and more often now, and it appears to be random. It happens every time a drive, sometimes more than once in a brief period of time.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and is there a fix? My dealer has no way to check the ECU yet, so I'm going to call Lotus tomorrow and see what they can do. I never had this problem with my Elise, and I used the same break-in procedure...

I'm getting worried there is a malfunction in the ECU or the engine. If it were the engine, wouldn't it be occurring all the time, and not just every so often randomly? Using this reasoning I am assuming it is an ECU issue, but could it be an issue somewhere else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
If your dealer doesn't have a ScanTool, how did they dump your ECU at the 1K service?
I think the answer to that, if I'm not mistaken, is they didn't (get the ECU dump). It seems the dealers are not getting the new 2008 scanning software... (can't say whose fault this is)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I think the answer to that, if I'm not mistaken, is they didn't (get the ECU dump). It seems the dealers are not getting the new 2008 scanning software... (can't say whose fault this is)
So this means the warranty validation is :popcorn:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Assuming its not traction control ? the new 2008 diag tool is a laptop so they probably have to buy it in.

However unless there is an update for it (which shouldn't need the new tool), i doubt there is much information in the ecu that'll help them out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking of traction control. Is there supposed to be a light on the button on the center console? I click the button but no light is ever on... Perhaps there is something wrong with the traction control system? Would that cause the fuel injection to stop and the car to act like the engine limiter is coming on?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I am having after my Katana install. Rev limiter/shift light will come on at 6k rpm. Happens randomly after car is fully warm. After releasing the throttle, then reapplying, everything will be fine. Very strange.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
QueueCumber, when does this happen?

Is it normally at a constant throttle around 3k to 4.5k rpm?

Does it do it while accellerating?

Decellerating?

I've had it happen to me a few times. Almost always at a constant speed while on the highway.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Speaking of traction control. Is there supposed to be a light on the button on the center console? I click the button but no light is ever on... Perhaps there is something wrong with the traction control system? Would that cause the fuel injection to stop and the car to act like the engine limiter is coming on?
Traction control is on by default. To turn it off, press and hold the button on the center console for at least 2 seconds (manual says 2, I always feel its more) while the engine is running. Then the T/C light on the dash comes on and the light on the button comes on as well. That light means the T/C is off.

That said, it doesn't sound like your problem is a T/C problem

·
Registered
545 Posts
Regarding post Kantana install and your rev limiter kicking in early,
Any more word on this issue?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a malfunction in one of the electronic units that dealt with the traction control and some other parts of the car. They replaced the component and the problems with the fuel injection cutting out stopped completely. :clap:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
is your AC on at the time? maybe AC relay...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I had a malfunction in one of the electronic units that dealt with the traction control and some other parts of the car. They replaced the component and the problems with the fuel injection cutting out stopped completely. :clap:
Did they change a wheel speed sensor? I suppose if one of the rear wheel speed sensors was sending out extra pulses, the traction control could see that as wheelspin...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure which unit they changed out, I know it controls the traction relay among a few other things.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Regarding post Kantana install and your rev limiter kicking in early,
Any more word on this issue?
It only happened a few times after the install. It hasn't happened since. But CharlieX has released a new 2006+ SC tune that is supposed to fix the problem entirely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts