The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Elise owner and about to embark on the mod's upgrades path. What are the worst mistakes you have made doing this? Definate DONT'S, learn from the mistakes of others kinda stuff.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
This one's easy.

Back in the 'early' days on this board, when the first cars were being delivered, people were debating the merits of Starshield...lots of folks saw it as a must have, others saw it as a $1000 ripoff on the part of Lotus, and said they'd never do it.

One guy, who didn't get the SS, complained loudly on here that his rockers were badly pitted, and that Lotus should've included starshield for free because of the design of the car, OR that Lotus should've really really emphasized the importance of Starshield.

He didn't get much sympathy on here.

But what he DID do was coat the rockers of his blue Elise with a thick coating of blue Line X truck bed coating.

Probably pix around here somewhere, but that has to rank as one of the worst I've seen.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Dropping any kind of fastener into any place other than exactly where it belongs. During any upgrade this is a mistake.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
This one's easy.

Back in the 'early' days on this board, when the first cars were being delivered, people were debating the merits of Starshield...lots of folks saw it as a must have, others saw it as a $1000 ripoff on the part of Lotus, and said they'd never do it.

One guy, who didn't get the SS, complained loudly on here that his rockers were badly pitted, and that Lotus should've included starshield for free because of the design of the car, OR that Lotus should've really really emphasized the importance of Starshield.

But what he DID do was coat the rockers of his blue Elise with a thick coating of blue Line X truck bed coating.

Probably pix around here somewhere, but that has to rank as one of the worst I've seen.
That's pretty bad, but at least I understand the problem, and why he did it. The TVs in the headrests, now...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would have to fully agree with the StarShield sentiment. My car is now a few years old and the Star Shield has really done its job.

I would really also recommend not putting a front license plate on the car if at all possible. I never put one on mine even though the state I live in requires it. There have been more than a few horror stories on this board about plates hitting a curb and damaging the clam. That said, there are several mounting options available now that greatly reduce this risk.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
If you don't try and improve on mother nature, she'll leave you alone, and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I guess my plans for underside neon lights & lowrider hydraulic suspension are out too? What about an 18 inch subwoofer in the boot and spinner wheels?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
This one's easy.

lol I remember that...

The "worst" mod is your very first one. It's like a gateway drug into never stopping!! You become a junkie hanging out on LotusTalk... constantly scouring the for sale forums... lurking in the shadows saving pennies so you can get your next hit...

Ok maybe it's not that bad but once you start it's hard to stop.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I'd say one mistake might be making too many mods. Think quality, not quantity. Sector 111 has a lot of nice stuff, but I don't think you'd want to install everything on their web site, at least not all on the same car at the same time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the first mod I'm making is a personal one. I've had one HPDE course in june and another comming up in Sept. and plan to do at least two a year from here on out plan as many track days as I can. The car will be off the road for the winter an I'm planning to do a track oriented alignment, add some track tires & wheels, a front splitter for a bit more front end DF, a upgrade to brake pads & lines and install nitron shocks & springs and swap out for a adjustable sway bar. Oh and I plan to add 2 to 3 HP by dropping some weight over the winter, my weight that is. Am I correct in thinking that these are the best places to start before diving into the engine compartment?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
anything with the suspension, i suppose.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well the first mod I'm making is a personal one. I've had one HPDE course in june and another comming up in Sept. and plan to do at least two a year from here on out plan as many track days as I can. The car will be off the road for the winter an I'm planning to do a track oriented alignment, add some track tires & wheels, a front splitter for a bit more front end DF, a upgrade to brake pads & lines and install nitron shocks & springs and swap out for a adjustable sway bar. Oh and I plan to add 2 to 3 HP by dropping some weight over the winter, my weight that is. Am I correct in thinking that these are the best places to start before diving into the engine compartment?
If you don't already have one, put in a proper racing harness.

·
Registered
215 Posts
As soon as I saw this topic I said to myself "I wonder how long it will take for someone to mention the TVs in the headrest". That was fast .

My worst upgrade was supercharging only the Exige and not doing the Elise as well.

Do your research on upgrades and mods and you should be ok but as it has been mentioned here already it is a slippery slope

I think we need to start a section titled UA Upgrade Anonymous

1 - 20 of 55 Posts