The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Worth a shot.. anyone here with a waterjet or CNC machine access who can make a part

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  bharper 
#1 ·
Worth a shot.. anyone here with a waterjet or CNC machine access who can make a part for me?

I have zero ability to do CAD design though could get exact measurements.. Basically looking to be made out of sheet of 1/8 to 1/4 thick aluminum a piece to use for new double din head unit surround.

Here is a rough drawing..

Kenny

See less See more
#2 ·
Another option would be local woodworkers. Some have cnc routing machines.

You could also fab a template out of mdf and then use a router table with flush trim bit and make it out of sheet plastic (which can be ordered from TAP Plastics)

Check out the fabrication section of DIY Mobile Audio - there are some guys there that do amazing work fabricating plastic bezels.

#3 ·
Someone around here probably does and will answer, but if not you might check with a local marble/granite manufacturer. I noticed the one in my town had a water jet in his shop. I mentioned having engine/deck covers made for the Elise and he said 'no problem - would love to help.'

Not sure if he's just a really cool guy or thought I had a really cool car. Either way, it's good to know!

#4 ·
I'd imagine both. Let's face it - home construction way down and those guys are probably dying for 'one off jobs'. Everyone I've ever asked to do 'one offs' - from powder coating my diffuser or gas cap to shooting clear over custom drums I build (motorcycle shop) was MORE than happy to help and even anodizing the aluminum interior bits on my Elise.

Just chat with the owner of the shop and be prepared to throw them CASH (they'll do it as an under the table 'side job').

#6 ·
A. my wood working skills are nil to none...
B. don't have a router

I have posted to the audio forum and also DIYMobileaudio.com so will wait and hopefully someone will reply

#8 · (Edited)
This is for people in the audio install biz and you may have to go through a reseller or distributor to buy. Direct buy is usually for installers only so it is unknown if they will sell direct to you. This company will custom cut panels for any device. You must design layout, dimensions, and exact cut specifications to 1/32" or at least that is the figure I used to use for a tight fit. I used to use these guys a lot in my former life as a audio system pro. The custom wall panels are about the size you require.

http://www.acebackstage.com/abc_pages/spec_fabrication_services.html
I would say Ace would probably do an excellent custom cut plate of Esprit size and at additional charge custom screen letters and logos. They do a lot of custom things like maybe a custom tilt out for your trunk amps for an award winning top of the line look.

Middle Atlantic custom rack div that handles RSH faceplates only will probably custom cut also but is since they are based on 19" pro racking they or may not cut something as small as an Esprit plate.
Custom Rack Shelf Faceplates | Middle Atlantic AFACE, SFACE

#11 ·
Ping me when you get closer Travis and I can give you some tips based on my learnings...

#10 ·
You will be more likely to entice someone if your drawing has dimensions.
Height, width of rectangular part
Height width of top square hole, how far from the top and left side.
Height width of middle square hole, how far from the top and left side.
Height width of bottom square hole, how far from the bottom and left side.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Here is the template with dimensions below.

Dimension are:

1/4” THICK, can be plastic or aluminum. Piece is not structural..

As noted in image, dimensions are:

A: 1/4”
B: 7 7/16”
C: 5 1/2”
D: 5/16”
E: 17 mm (could not get good measurement in inches on this one)
F: 4 1/4”
G: 98 mm (could not get good measurement in inches on this one)

Feel free to call with any questions! 817-939-6093

To clarify a bit in the hole where the letter “G” is where the head unit display sits and in the notch at lower left “F” is where the controls for the radar detector is.

The red circles I put to indicate those corners would be rounded.
If can do all edges with a slight curved bevel (maybe 1mm) EXCEPT the bottom which I colored in blue would be nice. If cannot do this no big deal whatsoever.

Attachments

#15 ·
1/4 thick for plastic would be fine. But 1/4" thick for metal is heavy duty stuff. Audio and data rack shelving is typical 11 ga.= .125" or 1/8" and they hold a lot of weight. If you don't mind it being plastic go to a plexiglass shop and they will do it cheaper than metal. Bet you there a dozen shops in your town that will cut plastic. In fact pieces that small are considered scrap or from the scrap bin. So the plastic shop will consider it gravy money from stuff they cut off larger jobs

#16 ·
The surround which came with the Alpine head unit is 1/4" thick and thus if went with half that thickness the screen would stick out too much... I doubt the weight difference between 1/8" and 1/4" aluminium is that much in this case and it is not structural..

Could be done with .125 BUT that would mean all the edges would require bending to get to the 1/4" depth, make sense?

#17 ·
It is way easier to find someone to cut 1/8" sheet metal and finish with the material cost lower as it is not structural. I was just thinking shim the plate out as you will probably need to shim heater plate anyway to match it flush anyway. Plastic is way easier to fettle with if you need to tweek it once you get it home.

#18 ·
I MAY have found a solution..

The plastic part I made which goes below the head unit surround, above the HVAC and around the radar detector controls I JB Welded to the surround. I have spent a good bit of time sanding smooth the joint, etc. After finish that up will paint and see how that works..

#20 · (Edited)
that Front Panel Express looks pretty cool! Gonna png them to get cost estimates..

Until then I took the piece I made and attached with JB Kwik Weld, sanded smooth (not perfect on the joints but very close) and then painted black.. For a novice pretty pleased... Need to align the HVAC a bit on left but shouldnt take a moment to do to fill that gap

EDIT: Better pic

Attachments

#21 ·
I know you got what you were looking for, but here's another resource for anyone else who might be looking for aluminum plates. I've used them in the past to make a plate for a car I was building:

Semtron Number One in Custom Plates and Panels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.